Short bio: Doug has given acclaimed lectures at over 200 universities, given two TEDx Talks, presented at National Geographic Headquarters, for the United Nations World’s Tourism Organization, at Google Travel, Booking.com, Amadeus, ITB Berlin and for over 100 destinations around the world, introducing audiences to new insights and smart tourism concepts. Before that he was an author and travel journalist contributing to Lonely Planet, National Geographic Traveler/Adventure, Esquire, Men’s Journal, The Guardian, NPR, and had a nationally syndicated travel column that ran in over 40 newspapers in North America.
Occupation: Travel/Tourism Keynote Speaker, Consultant, Author, Travel Writer
Hometown: Minnetonka, MN
Residence: Stockholm, Sweden
College: Colorado College
College major: Political Economics
How are you doing with quarantine? See this video
When or what will it take to get you to fly again? I’m ready to fly now
How many countries have you been to? About 120
How many continents have you been to? All but Antarctica.
Favorite American city: NYC
Favorite international city: Lisbon
Friendliest people in the world: Syria before the war and Fiji
Favorite international airport: Punta Cana, DR
Sat next to any famous celebs: Swedish Olympian
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): Depends where I am… like a Dark and Stormy in Bermuda or Singapore Sling in Singapore
Favorite restaurant: Need to reassess now that I’m vegan
Craziest thing you’ve eaten: Monkey head in Colombian rainforest
Favorite travel credit card: American Express Platinum (Read our American Express Platinum review here)
Favorite island: Probably ruined now, but 20 yrs ago it was Parenthenian Islands in Malaysia.
Favorite beach: Northern Brazil for kiting and windsurfing and caipirinhas.
Best place for adventure travel: really anywhere… it’s more of an approach to putting yourself in those situations and opening your mind to new experiences, not so much geography.
Favorite travel movie: Into the Wild
Favorite travel show: An Idiot Abroad, Globe Trekker, Michael Palin’s first travel series, and some of the early Top Gear travel shows.
Favorite travel authors: Bill Bryson, PJ O’Rourke, Mark Twain
Worst travel moment: Crossing the border from Colombia to Ecuador
Most embarrassing travel moment: When I had to go in Paris
What’s your dream destination? Island off of Mauritius for kitesurfing
What’s the most important thing travel has taught you: See video
Best travel tip: See video
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.