Short bio: Former Washington Post investigative reporter & columnist; contributing editor with National Geographic Traveler; hosted “The Savvy Traveler” on public radio; hosted & executive producer 98 episodes on the world’s great destinations for public television; host, “I Was Just Thinking . . .” webcast
Occupation: Travel journalist
Hometown: Washington, D.C. (but born in Cleveland, OH)
Residence: St. Paul, MN
College: Ohio University
College major: Journalism. Minor in Economics
Earliest travel memory: Being on a cruise ship from the US to Europe as a kid and having to drink warm milk
How many countries have you been to? Lost count but over 70
How many continents have you been to? 6
Favorite American city: Los Angeles, CA
Favorite international city: Paris, London, Bangkok…
Friendliest people in the world: Eastern Europe (Georgia) and Uzbekistan
I have no desire to go to: Machu Picchu
Country with the meanest immigration officers: Russia
Favorite airline: Any Asian carrier
Favorite aircraft type: widebody
Aisle or window: Aisle
Sat next to any famous celebs: Many: Howard Stern, James Earl Jones, Queen Noor (of Jordan), CIA Director William Colby, Jane Seymour, Larry Flynt
Favorite airport lounge: Cathay Pacific in HKG
Favorite U.S. airport: Norfolk and Charlotte
Favorite international airport: Singapore
Favorite hotel: Oberoi in India
Favorite travel credit card: Amex Plat (Read our American Express Platinum review here)
Favorite island: Necker Island
Favorite beach: Cap Ferret, France
Favorite fancy restaurant: Eleven Madison Park, NYC
Favorite fruit: Mango
Favorite food: Fish, oysters
Craziest thing you’ve eaten: An eyeball of a lamb in Jordan
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): Burgundy wine
Favorite travel movie(s): Up in The Air
Favorite travel show(s): Bizarre Foods
Favorite travel book(s): Most of Pico Iyer’s
Favorite travel app: Delta
What do you always seem to forget? Baseball cap
Worst travel moment: Camel experience in Uzbekistan
Most embarrassing travel moment: Shooting a TV show in Shanghai in front of a crowd of locals who applauded every time I blew my lines
What’s your dream destination? Mauritius
Best travel tip: Make a reservation at Le Jules Verne in the Eiffel Tower so you don’t have to wait in line for the elevator to go to the top.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.