If you’re like me and always staring out the plane window you no doubt have seen two numbers (between 01 and 36) at the ends of a runway. What do they mean, you might wonder? This two-minute video by Tech Insider will tell you the answer (and you don’t need to have the volume on since it’s just music, so you can play it with the mute button on).
In short, the two numbers match compass directions and are closely linked to a shifting magnetic north, which is why they occasionally get changed. There are some other interesting tidbits in the video, like how the difference between the two numbers is always 18 (so if there are two runways and one is 30, the other would be 12). The first number uses the actual compass bearing rounded to the nearest 10 degrees and the last number is always dropped. The other number is the opposite direction on the compass. Big airports (like Chicago’s O’Hare) may have parallel runways with the same numbers but these then would get an L, C or R after the number for “Left,” “Center,” or “Right.”
Good stuff, right? For more on the numbers on runways, watch the video.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.