Earlier this month, the annual Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta—the world’s largest balloon festival—returned to New Mexico. “For nine days in October,” says the website, “the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta® creates an enchanted world of special-shaped balloon rodeos, twilight balloon glows, and vibrant balloon-filled skies. Brisk autumn mornings in the Rio Grande Valley create an otherworldly backdrop for the breathtaking majesty of our most popular event, Mass Ascension of the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta®.”
This year, like every year, hundreds of balloons in hundreds of colors filled the sky, including on day three, which Reuters captured in video below:
Hundreds of hot air balloons filled the sky above New Mexico for day three of the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta pic.twitter.com/Fvi1Ru89Mw
— Reuters (@Reuters) October 11, 2019
I’ve gone to the festival once before, when I first started to travel (I was a college recruiter for Marymount College Palos Verdes, which is now Marymount California University). It was amazing. I got up super early with a colleague, dressed in layers (because it’s freezing in the morning but it warms up quickly once the sun starts to rise) and watched all the balloons fill the sky.
I didn’t ride in a hot air balloon until 15 years later, back in Albuquerque (but not for the festival). See the pic below. I hated the experience because I’m afraid of heights and they go really high. We went up 1,750 feet!
However, I truly loved my other two hot air balloon experiences because they were—get this—hot air balloon safaris! One was in South Africa and the other was in the Serengeti in East Africa. See the pic below:
More on the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta
Our contributor (and resident pilot) Spencer Marker covered the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta a few years back. Here’s his story.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.