I’m pretty sure every frequent flier has had a turbulent flight and most road warriors have had a go-around. The latter is when, at the last minute, the pilot or air traffic controller decides it’s not safe to land because there’s either something on the runway, the wind is too strong, the wheels weren’t down …
I’ve had multiple go-arounds, including at Las Vegas, London Heathrow and in remote places in East Africa and Fiji. The latter two were because there were animals on the field. That’s right … we were landing on fields.
The Las Vegas one was the scariest for me because our wheels touched the ground and then we went back up and the captain didn’t tell us what was going on for what seemed like hours but was just minutes. It’s understandable because their first priority is to make sure the plane is safe so they have more important duties but it was nerve racking nonetheless. It turned out there was a military aircraft on the runway, which they didn’t see until the last minute.
I was reminded of all these occurrences yesterday when I saw the video of a British Airways plane coming very close to crashing while landing at Heathrow Airport due to high winds from Storm Corrie. Fortunately, the pilot was a real pro and able to safely land on the second attempt but it must have been nerve racking for the passengers.
NEAR MISS: A British Airways airplane almost crashed on landing at Heathrow Airport on Monday as high winds from Storm Corrie battered the runway. The pilot was able to safely land on a second attempt. pic.twitter.com/zQLcTz90ek
— CBS News (@CBSNews) February 1, 2022
Have you ever had a close experience like this? Leave a comment below.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.