I’ve been on multiple flights when the pilot has announced something shocking, from the final score when the New England Patriots beat the St. Louis Rams in the Super Bowl (the Pats were heavy underdogs) to we were escorting a fallen soldier.
One thing that I’ve never witnessed is what happened earlier today when a British Airways pilot announced the passing of Queen Elizabeth II on his New York (JFK) to London Heathrow flight.
The video, which you can watch here, was captured by Laerke Christensen, who is a journalist for Storyful. The transcript goes like this:
“The Queen passed away earlier today with her family by her side. We have little more information than that at the moment. But I thought I should at least tell you that before you arrive at the terminal, as I know many will be very, very sad about this. It’ll give you some time to reflect. As I say, we have 40 minutes till landing. We’d all be thinking about her family at this time. Please, if any of you are particularly upset at this time, be aware there’s also–”
Then the video ends. But from the looks on the few faces you can see, they didn’t seem particularly upset. In fact, it was almost the opposite, which is interesting.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.