On October 8, Hong Kong-based carrier Cathay Pacific bid farewell to its last Boeing 747 with a fly-by of the city. According to Hong Kong Free Press, about 300 airline staff were onboard and each made a donation of HK$747 ($96 US) to take the last ride, which was seen flying just 2,000 feet above the city.
The 747 was my favorite plane for decades, just like it was for many other aviation enthusiasts. In fact, it’s been nicknamed the “queen of the skies.” It was launched in 1970 and dominated international air travel and cargo services for decades. My first ride on a United 747 was from Los Angeles to Hong Kong and I will never forget that ride. First of all, it was my first time traveling overseas, first time in business class and first time landing at the old Kai Tak Airport (it closed in 1998) in Hong Kong (where planes were literally just yards away from people’s balconies and steep mountains). It was surreal. Unfortunately, I wasn’t on Cathay, as my already amazing experience would’ve even been that much better; not many airlines can compete with Cathay’s service and food.
Fortunately, I’ve flown Cathay a number of times since then, but sadly I won’t be on their 747 again.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.