You’ve gotta hand it to Xfinity for making a four-minute commercial with minimal product placement. After 37 years, E.T. returns to Earth to visit his friend Elliott over the holidays. During his stay, E.T. learns that Elliott now has a family of his own and that technology has completely changed on Earth since his last visit. It’s fun and even a little emotional—and it’s now going viral.
When I was growing up, E.T. (Steven Spielberg’s hit 1982 movie) was one of my favorite movies. It’s still on my all-time list, and to me, this subtle Xfinity ad feels like an extension of the movie. I’m almost embarrassed to admit it but I got goosebumps watching the opening. It’s worth watching, especially if you loved the original as much as I did.
E.T. returns: a “win-win”
Elliott, who in the clip has his own family with two kids, is played by actor Henry Thomas. In a statement quoted on CNET, Thomas says that E.T. returns, “the audience is going to get everything they want out of a sequel without the messy bits that could destroy the beauty of the original and the special place it has in people’s minds and hearts.” He also added that “it’s really a win-win,” and I agree.
More holiday travel videos
- Video: United Flight Attendant Sings Carols With Passengers During Delay
- Video: Air New Zealand’s “The Nicest Christmas Ever”
- Travel Video of the Week: WestJet Christmas Miracle
More holiday travel help
- 10 Ways to Find Cheap Christmas Flights
- A Christmas Day Travel Tip
- Ask a Pilot with Spencer: Christmas Lights from Above
- 10 Reasons to Visit Walt Disney World at Christmastime
- The Ultimate Children’s Christmas Book List
- You Can Go Ice Skating at These 3 Airports This Holiday Season
- When to Buy Holiday Flights According to a Major Flight Search Tool
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.