I usually don’t like to post pictures or videos of frightening images involving planes, but I think it’s important for the public to know how challenging it can be for pilots to land in strong winds (in other words, how much credit they deserve). This past week, in which a big storm moved through parts of Europe, provided two great examples, captured in video below. Hats off to the pilots involved in each difficult landing.
Difficult landing #1
As shared by the BBC, “Storm Ciara brought rain and gusts of wind in excess of 90mph in some areas of the UK on Sunday. Airlines cancelled hundreds of flights, while rail travellers and drivers also faced disruption. Photographer Dafydd Phillips captured these views of aircraft precariously trying to land at Birmingham Airport.”
(Off the runway, Storm Ciara did real damage in the U.K. Per The Independent, at least 500 homes were flooded and more than 20,000 homes lost power for the night. “Some areas,” it said yesterday, “saw a month and a half’s rainfall in just 24 hours.” Travel disruptions, including at U.K. airports, were expected to continue in the days ahead, so if you’ll soon be traveling to the U.K., keep an eye on the situation.)
Difficult landing #2
This Global News video (above), meanwhile was shot at Zurich airport on Monday where the same storm had moved in. Winds of up to 130kph on the plain and up to 200kph in the mountains hit northwestern Switzerland!
More plane videos
- Incredible Low Landing by British Airways E190 at Skiathos Airport
- Insane Landing in Sint Maarten
- Amazing Landing at LaGuardia Airport
- Bird Strike Video Leaked Delta Flight 1063 Emergency Landing
- One Plane Lands as Another Takes off on the Same Runway
- Two Red Bull Planes Fly Through a Hangar
- Stowaway Cat Goes For A Plane Ride in French Guiana
- Plane Runs Out of Fuel, Ditches Near Hawaii
- Flying Inside Hurricane Dorian
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.