Located along the Karawari River in the middle of the country, the Sepik region of Papua New Guinea gave me the most remote travel experience I’ve ever had. To get there, we took a charter flight over the mountains down to a grass landing strip. From there, we walked to the Karawari River, hopped on a boat and cruised up the windy river to the dock for the Karawari Lodge. This lodge was the only place you could stay for miles, and the only establishment with electricity. It was perfect with its open-air rooms, river views and majestic central lodge covered in local carvings and masks. It was infused with Sepik culture and made our experience in this region come alive.
Each day, we stepped onboard a riverboat and slowly cruised along the main artery of this area. The villages of the Sepik rely on the river for everything—namely food, water, sanitization, and transportation. Our daily schedule included visiting several villages, speaking to the villagers about their lives, seeing their homes and spirit houses, admiring their handicrafts, and in general taking in a firsthand experience of Karawari life.
Spend a day on the Karawari for yourself in this video—and see below for more!
In Part 5: Food of Papua New Guinea.
For Ian Livingston’s recent series on Papua New Guinea, start here. For more on guided travel in Papua New Guinea, visit USTOA.com. For more on the specific itineraries and guides from Kelley’s video, check out swaindestinations.com.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 03/31/22.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.