On February 12, employees at the Roundhouse Aquarium at the end of the Manhattan Beach Pier—in my hometown of Manhattan Beach, California—captured a pretty amazing scene: a 33- to 34-foot juvenile grey whale playing just off the beach for nearly an hour. Employees Eric Martin and Daniel Genuth managed to get the aquarium’s drones into the air to document the animal, and the footage is beautiful. (I can’t say the same about the music they chose, so watch it with the mute button on 😉.) Check it out above!
I’m fortunate to live near the pier and I visit it often. Though I’ve never personally seen a grey whale at Manhattan Beach Pier, I’ve seen one from the beach multiple times (usually while playing beach volleyball).
More on Manhattan Beach
Manhattan Beach is just a 15-minute drive from Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), so if you have a long layover, I highly recommend visiting. In fact, I created a guide on what to do and where to eat and shop in MB, which is here. If you want to get up close to the whales (and you don’t see a grey whale at Manhattan Beach Pier), there are whale-watching boats in nearby Redondo Beach. If you don’t like boats there’s a good chance you’ll spot them from the Point Vicente Lighthouse in Rancho Palos Verdes this time of year (usually November-April).
More whale and animal footage
- Orca Near Cape Cod
- Whale Surprises Boaters in Canada
- Paddle Boarder’s Close Encounter With Killer Whales
- Drone Footage of Dolphins and Whales
- Man Surfs With Dolphins
- Woman Wakeboarding with Dolphins
- Travel Webcam of the Week: Monterey Bay Aquarium Shark Cam
- Thousands of Horses Gallop Through Snow
- Deer Jumps Over Motorcyclist
- Man Punches a Kangaroo in the Face to Rescue His Dog
- 70 Tiger Sharks from a Drone
- British Airways Flies a Heroic Secret Service Dog to London in Style
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.