In a recent feature, Michelle Miller introduced America to an inspiring pilot on CBS News named Jerome Stanislaus, who takes kids of color into the air to fly with him for free. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (via the story), less than 3% of aircraft pilots and flight engineers in the U.S. are African-American. That is obviously way too low, and Stanislaus cites the huge cost of flight training as one of the reasons for that.
Stanislaus says that when he became interested in flying when he was younger, he told himself that he “would never probably be a pilot because [he] actually never saw a pilot that looked like [him].” By taking kids interested in flying into the air with him, he hopes to show them that they can do what he does. At the very least, they get to have fun (one girl in the video says, while flying with Stanislaus, “This is the best day of my life”). He’s also part of Fly for the Culture, a non-profit working to bring diversity to aviation. “I really want to be able to make a difference,” he says, “and this is how I do it, it’s like my purpose.”
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.