In a recent feature, Michelle Miller introduced America to an inspiring pilot on CBS News named Jerome Stanislaus, who takes kids of color into the air to fly with him for free. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (via the story), less than 3% of aircraft pilots and flight engineers in the U.S. are African-American. That is obviously way too low, and Stanislaus cites the huge cost of flight training as one of the reasons for that.
Stanislaus says that when he became interested in flying when he was younger, he told himself that he “would never probably be a pilot because [he] actually never saw a pilot that looked like [him].” By taking kids interested in flying into the air with him, he hopes to show them that they can do what he does. At the very least, they get to have fun (one girl in the video says, while flying with Stanislaus, “This is the best day of my life”). He’s also part of Fly for the Culture, a non-profit working to bring diversity to aviation. “I really want to be able to make a difference,” he says, “and this is how I do it, it’s like my purpose.”
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.