In a recent feature, Michelle Miller introduced America to an inspiring pilot on CBS News named Jerome Stanislaus, who takes kids of color into the air to fly with him for free. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (via the story), less than 3% of aircraft pilots and flight engineers in the U.S. are African-American. That is obviously way too low, and Stanislaus cites the huge cost of flight training as one of the reasons for that.
Stanislaus says that when he became interested in flying when he was younger, he told himself that he “would never probably be a pilot because [he] actually never saw a pilot that looked like [him].” By taking kids interested in flying into the air with him, he hopes to show them that they can do what he does. At the very least, they get to have fun (one girl in the video says, while flying with Stanislaus, “This is the best day of my life”). He’s also part of Fly for the Culture, a non-profit working to bring diversity to aviation. “I really want to be able to make a difference,” he says, “and this is how I do it, it’s like my purpose.”
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.