I’m not a huge fan of Justin Bieber, but there’s no denying that he’s one of the most influential entertainers on the planet. In fact, for his 2015 “I’ll Show You” video, above, which is set against the jaw-dropping landscapes of Iceland, the country had to shut down the film location of Fjadrárgljúfur canyon.
But the effects of this Justin Bieber video are still being felt. According to the AP, “Over 1 million people have visited the area since the release of the video, the Environment Agency of Iceland estimates, leaving deep scars on its vegetation.” The canyon is now closed to visitors for much of the year, but people regularly disobey signs that, for example, forbid cars from driving further.
In the video, “Bieber stomped on mossy vegetation, dangled his feet over a cliff and bathed in the freezing river underneath the sheer walls of the canyon.” Speaking to the AP, “Environment Minister Gudmundur Ingi Gudbrandsson said it is ‘a bit too simplistic to blame the entire situation on Justin Bieber’ but urged famous, influential visitors to consider the consequences of their actions. ‘Rash behavior by one famous person can dramatically impact an entire area if the mass follows.’
- 13 Things to Know Before You Travel to Iceland
- An Afternoon in Reykjavik to Watch the World Cup
- Airport Bus Service in Iceland May Be Disrupted by Wage Negotiations This Spring
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.