I’m not a huge fan of Justin Bieber, but there’s no denying that he’s one of the most influential entertainers on the planet. In fact, for his 2015 “I’ll Show You” video, above, which is set against the jaw-dropping landscapes of Iceland, the country had to shut down the film location of Fjadrárgljúfur canyon.
But the effects of this Justin Bieber video are still being felt. According to the AP, “Over 1 million people have visited the area since the release of the video, the Environment Agency of Iceland estimates, leaving deep scars on its vegetation.” The canyon is now closed to visitors for much of the year, but people regularly disobey signs that, for example, forbid cars from driving further.
In the video, “Bieber stomped on mossy vegetation, dangled his feet over a cliff and bathed in the freezing river underneath the sheer walls of the canyon.” Speaking to the AP, “Environment Minister Gudmundur Ingi Gudbrandsson said it is ‘a bit too simplistic to blame the entire situation on Justin Bieber’ but urged famous, influential visitors to consider the consequences of their actions. ‘Rash behavior by one famous person can dramatically impact an entire area if the mass follows.’
- 13 Things to Know Before You Travel to Iceland
- An Afternoon in Reykjavik to Watch the World Cup
- Airport Bus Service in Iceland May Be Disrupted by Wage Negotiations This Spring
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.