A New Zealand man is another man’s hero after catching a falling phone while speeding 134kmh (83mph) on a roller coaster. Samuel Kempf of Timaru, New Zealand, was in Europe representing New Zealand in the Fistballing World Championships (Wikipedia says fistball is sort of like volleyball but played with closed fists and with bounces). While visiting PortAventura theme park in Tarragona, Spain, he strapped into the park’s Shambhala roller coaster. And that’s when it happened.
“The guy two rows ahead of me, as the ride started doing its ascent before it drops, he had his phone out and he dropped it and it just landed at the bottom of his cart,” Kempf told Stuff. “He was trying to reach down and grab it but because he was locked in he couldn’t reach it and I just jokingly said to my brother and the people we were with ‘get ready to catch.'”
And then, as you’ll see in the video, Kempf sees the phone drop. And so he reaches out—while moving 134kmh (83mph)—and grabs it with his right hand. According to Stuff, Kempf returned the phone to its owner, who was looking for it on the ground below the coaster. “He couldn’t believe it,” said Kempf. “He gave me a big hug.” Later, the man also bought him a copy of the video taken on the coaster as a “thank you.”
More high-adrenaline videos
- Flying Inside Hurricane Dorian
- The U.S. Coast Guard Captures a Drug-Running Semi-Submersible
- Man Surfs With Dolphins
- Man Mows the Lawn With Tornado in the Background
More roller coasters and theme parks
- Video: Ride the Longest, Fastest and Tallest Dive Roller Coaster in the World
- A Surprising Risk for Parents at Theme Parks
- Video: Is This the World’s Sickest Waterslide?
- A Quick Guide to Volcano Bay, Universal Orlando’s New Water Park
- The Royal Flush Super Waterslide
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.