It was Jack’s birthday this past week, and fortunately for him we were able to throw him an amazing birthday party. Soon after the party, I saw this story/video on CBS News, which made me realize how lucky he really is, not only to have a party but to have a loving family and a home, as well. It blows my mind and breaks my heart that there are kids who don’t have homes. Having a child has honestly been the most rewarding and fun thing I’ve ever done. I sometimes wish I’d started earlier, but ultimately, I’m happy I didn’t because if I had, I’d now be missing out on these younger years, which I find so precious.
The CBS News story introduces Tanvi Barman, a 17-year-old who spends most of her free time traveling around the Bay Area to throw birthday parties for homeless kids. No Birthday Left Behind is the name of the charity, which she’s been operating since the eighth grade. She personalizes each party, brings in a face painter and gets a birthday cake from another charity called Cakes for Kids. After hearing about her and her desire to expand to other cities, I realized I needed to feature her story and her charity to help.
“A birthday party is such a big experience for a child and I think it was one of my favorite memories growing up,” Barman told CBS News. “We all look forward to our birthdays ever year. We all do. And it’s sad that these children, who are just like us, don’t have the opportunity to have a birthday.”
I’m donating to both of the above charities and I hope you do, too. It seems to me that both can bring joy to kids across the country—and possibly the world.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.