Yesterday at Chicago O’Hare International Airport, a crazy scene unfolded on the tarmac. Today, video of the incident (below) is making the rounds.
Here’s what happened: A rogue O’Hare catering cart, operated by Gate Gourmet, with no one behind the wheel began spinning in wild circles beside an American Airlines plane. Employees in vests looked on, unable to stop it. To save the day, another employee in another cart rammed into it, which ended the mayhem. And fortunately, a passenger in the terminal captured the whole thing on Twitter:
Crazy event at ORD. Heads up safety move by a ramp worker! pic.twitter.com/SQi5zB0Ooz
— Kevin Klauer DO, EJD (@Emergidoc) September 30, 2019
In a story on the incident, USA TODAY included comment from American Airlines. “American Airlines is investigating an incident involving a catering truck this afternoon at Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport,” said American spokesperson Ross Feinstein. “Preliminary reports indicate that the accelerator became stuck and caused the catering cart to lose control.” Feinstein also reported, per USA TODAY, that “no one was injured, and applauded the employee whose quick action stopped the vehicle before it crashed into the nearby Embraer 145 regional jet operated by American Eagle.”
Writing for View From The Wing, which called the O’Hare catering cart video the “best the best 30 seconds you’ll spend today,” my buddy Gary Leff writes that the incident also resulted in a 10-minute delay. Given what could have happened, that’s not too bad. As for the hero? Gary calls the him a “fighter pilot to the hijacked jet, willing to shoot it down, taking out everyone on board and all of the cargo too.” Hats off to him.
- My Favorite Episode of Anthony Bourdain’s Parts Unknown
- High School Senior Throws Birthday Parties for Children in Homeless Shelters
- Man Catches Stranger’s Phone on a Roller Coaster
- Southwest Pilot Flies His Father Home After 52 Years
- Incredible Low Landing by British Airways E190 at Skiathos Airport
- CBS News Piece on Apollo 11
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.