Brooks Onishi posted a video of an impromptu in-flight hula and song on her Hawaiian Airlines flight from Honolulu to San Diego. Onboard was a very special passenger, Ray Richmond, a 97-year-old Pearl Harbor survivor who was on the USS Oklahoma when it was attacked. He’s the second-oldest living Pearl Harbor survivor.
According to the Honolulu Star: Lehua Beltrame-Tevaga, a flight attendant and the reigning Mrs. Hawaii America, noticed that the family seemed a little upset, so during takeoff she and some crewmembers brainstormed a way to cheer them up. She asked a well-known Hawaii group, Makaha Sons, who just happened to be on the flight, if they wouldn’t mind singing for Richmond, and they agreed.
“With an hour left in the flight, they went to the row where Richmond was sitting with his family. The lead flight attendant announced that Richmond was a Pearl Harbor veteran. Beltrame-Tevaga took a lei from around her neck and placed it on Richmond. Mark Yim of the group played the guitar while Jerome Koko and Kimo Artis sang ‘Papalina Lahilahi.’ Beltrame-Tevaga danced hula next to Richmond’s seat.
Richmond thanked the performers and Beltrame-Tevaga said he told her ‘it was the best part of his whole trip.’”
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.