Brooks Onishi posted a video of an impromptu in-flight hula and song on her Hawaiian Airlines flight from Honolulu to San Diego. Onboard was a very special passenger, Ray Richmond, a 97-year-old Pearl Harbor survivor who was on the USS Oklahoma when it was attacked. He’s the second-oldest living Pearl Harbor survivor.
According to the Honolulu Star: Lehua Beltrame-Tevaga, a flight attendant and the reigning Mrs. Hawaii America, noticed that the family seemed a little upset, so during takeoff she and some crewmembers brainstormed a way to cheer them up. She asked a well-known Hawaii group, Makaha Sons, who just happened to be on the flight, if they wouldn’t mind singing for Richmond, and they agreed.
“With an hour left in the flight, they went to the row where Richmond was sitting with his family. The lead flight attendant announced that Richmond was a Pearl Harbor veteran. Beltrame-Tevaga took a lei from around her neck and placed it on Richmond. Mark Yim of the group played the guitar while Jerome Koko and Kimo Artis sang ‘Papalina Lahilahi.’ Beltrame-Tevaga danced hula next to Richmond’s seat.
Richmond thanked the performers and Beltrame-Tevaga said he told her ‘it was the best part of his whole trip.’”
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.