Do you like watching or participating in races? You’re probably thinking about the Indy 500, the Tour de France or some sort of marathon. But I’m here to tell you about a different kind of race: a pumpkin race!
Imagine putting a costume on a pumpkin, adding some wheels and racing it down a hill with other dressed-up pumpkins. Sound like your kind of race? If so, you should definitely check out Manhattan Beach Pumpkin Race, a fun-filled event thats takes place at the end of October in sunny Manhattan Beach, CA.
It’s this weekend! The 26th Annucal Manhattan Beach Pumpkin Race is this Sunday, October 23, 12-5pm
Each year, the community comes together with pumpkin entries from the police department, fire department, small businesses, and of course families. There are so many clever pumpkin designs from, pigs to minions! Manhattan Beach City Hall sells pumpkin race kits for $25. Included in the kit are wheels, bearings, nuts, axles, and this year, even a pair of sunglasses. You can also use your own materials if you think the kit won’t give your pumpkin the edge to win the race.
Here are the rules that pertain to all racers:
1. No explosives
2. No chassis of any kind
3. No helping or pushing your pumpkin
4. No cheater pumpkins (aka watermelons) or else your “pumpkin” will face the “Mallet-O-Justice” and get SMASHED!
Once you have your pumpkin decorated and assembled for speed, it’s time to head over to race. There will be a line, but don’t worry: You have the Pacific Ocean as your view. The line goes pretty quickly as they race 5-6 pumpkins in a heat. The racing lasts from 12 pm to 5 pm with a big trophy for the fastest pumpkin of the day.
The Princess Detectives, two young sisters, have grown up with the Pumpkin Race—as baby spectators in strollers, toddlers watching on their dad’s shoulders, and eventually to active race participants! They have even documented their past couple races on video—like the one above. The video captures the excitement, fun and creativity this annual event creates.
If you get a chance to visit Manhattan Beach this weekend, be sure to watch the Pumpkin Race. I promise you will have a “spooktacular” time!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.