“Italian police have arrested five suspects accused of snatching passengers’ valuables at Rome’s Fiumicino airport. Another seven people are under investigation in connection with the gang, which also operated in rental car parks and at the main train station Termini, police said. The suspects are accused of nabbing property worth more than €50,000 in a matter of hours, according to police, who released surveillance camera footage of the gang at work.
“The video shows several men, posing as passengers and carrying suitcases of their own, striking opportunistically at check-in desks or in the car park. In one incident, a man can be seen opening a car door to snatch valuables from inside the vehicle as two travellers load their cases into the boot. In another, one man distracts a man waiting in line as an accomplice lifts his bag from a luggage trolley.”
Police were reportedly able to retrieve some of the stolen property and return it victims. These thieves at Rome airport, meanwhile, face charges of aggravated theft. It’s a reminder to always be on your guard when you travel, including at airports and other highly trafficked areas. Here’s the video:
#PoliziaFrontiera Fiumicino arresta 5 borseggiatori e ne denuncia 7. Rubavano in Italia, pur risiedendo stabilmente in Francia e Spagna. Nel giro di poche ore riuscivano a rubare refurtiva per oltre 50 mila euro in aeroporto, nelle areee noleggio auto e nella stazione Termini pic.twitter.com/UdjBvMvNey
— Polizia di Stato (@poliziadistato) October 7, 2019
- 5 Survival Tips for Driving (and Not Getting Your Car Stolen) in Italy
- 7 Things to Do in Naples, Italy
- “Rome Is Gross” Says the New York Times and This Blog
- The “Rule of 3s” for Eating in Rome
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.