DAY 5: Vienna, Austria
We woke up in the Austrian capital of Vienna. This is the one destination we needed to take a bus into the center of town since it’s a good 20-minute ride without traffic. Some passengers took the subway, which was smart because our ride along the Ringstrasse, which replaced the city walls in the mid-19th century, was filled with bumper-to-bumper traffic due to teachers protesting their salaries. I used the time to catch up on my sleep.
We then went on a two-hour walking tour to see some of the city’s baroque architecture, including the world-famous Opera House, St. Stephan’s Cathedral and Hofburg Palace. Some passengers returned to the ship for lunch, while others ate in the city. We ate at MAK, inside the Austrian Museum of Applied Arts.
Vienna has 29 Christkindlmarkt or Christmas markets. There’s a small one in front of St. Stephan’s Cathedral but the main one is located at the Rathausplatz, the square in front of the city hall. This year it was open November 16 – December 24, 2013 and had over 150 stalls selling ornaments, Christmas decorations, Krapfen (donuts the size of plates), roasted nuts and gluhwein.
FYI: Viking does offer an optional tour to Schönbrunn Palace, which is the Versailles of Vienna. There’s also an optional classical concert for $48 but the venue is disappointing so I say go see a concert on your own.
More info on Vienna Christmas markets.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.