Ask any frequent traveler for his or her favorite airport, and chances are the answer will be Singapore Changi. Especially after the opening of Singapore Changi Jewel (it has an indoor forest and the world’s largest indoor waterfall; see it in video here), the airport is a draw in itself.
But make no mistake. If you’re not planning to fly, you can’t visit Singapore Changi past immigration/security by buying a boarding pass. In fact, the Singapore Police Force just issued a warning about this rule after, per CNN, a “27-year-old bought a ticket purely to walk his wife to the gate and had ‘no intention to depart Singapore.'” The man was arrested.
And he’s not the only one to find out the hard way that you can’t visit Singapore Changi without flying. “Anyone accessing the gate-side areas at Changi without intending to fly can be prosecuted under Singapore’s Infrastructure Protection Act,” says CNN, “and fined up to S$20,000 (US$14,300) or imprisoned for up to two years. Thirty three people have been arrested under the legislation in the first eight months of 2019.”
To experience the entirety of the world’s best airport, you’ll need to fly in or out of it. It’s another example of why you should make sure you know the local laws and culture before you arrive somewhere new. Help yourself avoid trouble!
More Singapore and Singapore Changi
- Video: Inside the New Singapore Changi “Jewel”
- 6 Top Budget Restaurants in Singapore
- Video: The Raffles Singapore, an Icon in Hospitality
- Singapore: From Fishing Village to Modern Metropolis
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Enter your email address and check “Daily Travel Tip” to receive Johnny’s best tips in your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check “Daily Travel Tip” on the same page. You’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.