Visiting the September 11 Memorial, which is located in lower Manhattan.
The Memorial is a national tribute of remembrance and honor to the 2,983 people killed in the terror attacks of September 11, 2001, and February 26, 1993. It’s free to visit, and you no longer need advance reservations (which means lines can be long at peak hours). An adult ticket to the adjacent 9/11 Memorial Museum costs $24 (more info on pricing here).
I wasn’t expecting the memorial to be so beautiful. They really did an incredible job on the design. There are twin reflecting pools that are each nearly an acre in size and feature the largest man-made waterfalls in North America. The pools sit exactly where the Twin Towers once stood.
To locate a loved one’s name, you can use the 9/11 Memorial mobile app or website. It makes it much easier since they are not listed alphabetically. Also, not too many people know that you can ask one of the staff members for a free remembrance kit, which is four pieces of cloth paper and a black crayon so you can trace your loved one’s name.
Here’s my Travel Channel video of visiting the museum while it was still under construction.
NYC Tip: Did you know the most difficult time to get a taxi in New York City is between 4 and 5 p.m.? That’s when the shift changes and only 10 percent of cabbies are working.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.