I don’t need to tell you that there’s a monumental presidential election taking place next month, on Tuesday, November 8. I also don’t need to tell you that’s imperative that you vote, so if you’re not already registered, make sure to get on it as soon as possible. Most filing deadlines are 30 days prior to the election!
As this is a travel site, this week I want to offer help to travelers and citizens who will be outside the country on Election Day and aren’t sure how to cast their ballots. VotefromAbroad.org is an online resource designed for just these kinds of people, with links, walk-throughs and FAQs all meant to empower the constitutional right and responsibility to vote. In summary, if you’ll be outside the US on the big day, you’ll need to:
- Be registered to vote (or if you’re not already, register to vote)
- Mail in an absentee request form or request one online at FVAP.gov, which has state-specific instructions
- Download your ballot, put it in an envelope and mail it in
It’s slightly more complicated than that, but as Nomadic Matt notes in his helpful guide, it’s much easier to vote from abroad than it’s been in past years. And VotefromAbroad.org has help. I have a feeling this election will have the highest voter turnout ever, and you don’t want to be that person that didn’t get out and vote. Being out of the country is no longer an excuse!
Here are some more voting-related resources for traveling Americans:
Good to know: US citizens living outside of the US are only permitted to register and vote in the state and county where they last established residence (domicile) in the US before moving outside of the country.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.