As you surely know by now, professional sports leagues and major sporting events have been hit hard by the COVID-19 pandemic (here’s our COVID-19 resource page for travelers). The NBA, NHL and MLS seasons, which were going strong just a few weeks ago, have been suspended. The NCAA Tournament (aka March Madness) was canceled. MLB Opening Day has been pushed back until at least May. On Monday, USA TODAY reported that even the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo will not begin on the scheduled start date of July 24. Traveling to a game (like I did to see the first MLB game in Australia) is simply not an option right now.
So if you’re missing sports right now, you’re not alone. But here’s the good news: All five major U.S. sports leagues are currently offering free access to old games. With help from the New York Post, here’s what that means and how to watch MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL, and MLS games for free:
With Opening Day delayed, the MLB has made all games from the past two years free to watch via a preview of MLB.tv. You can also watch more than 100 classic games in full for free on the MLB Vault YouTube page.
The NBA is offering NBA League Pass for free through April 22. Until then, you’ll have access to hundreds of full games from the currently suspended 2019-2020 season and way, way further back. Here’s a list of classic games the NBA has compiled (all currently free).
The NFL is offering full games (as well as 45-minutes condensed versions of games) from 2009 through 2019 for free via NFL Game Pass through May 31. Original NFL shows are also available for free through the offer.
The NHL has made all games from the currently suspended 2019-2020 available for free via NHL.tv. The league has also debuted an original collection of content found in the “Pause Binge” playlist on its official YouTube channel.
What sports are you missing most? How are you getting your fix?
Let us know in the comments below!
Have your own tip? Email it to email@example.com!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 1,672!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Enter your email address and check “Daily Travel Tip” to receive Johnny’s best tips in your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check “Daily Travel Tip” on the same page. You’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.