I was recently at a conference and when I left to go to dinner with a few colleagues, the organizers handed us each a goodie bag. I didn’t want to carry a bag full of swag so I sifted through and said, “ooh, I’ll just take the travel-size sunscreen.” Then my friend Terry Gardner said something very important that I’d never thought of before: Be careful what sunscreen you use if you will be going in the ocean. Certain sunscreens contain chemicals including benzone that can give coral a lethal virus.
Look for natural sunblocks that use titanium dioxide and zinc oxide instead of chemical blocks like oxybenzone, butylparaben, octinoxate, and 4-methylbenzylidine camphor, which are known to cause coral bleaching. The Environmental Working Group (EWG) has a list of sunscreens that are also safer for humans.
Great advice for everyone heading into the ocean. Thanks, Terry!
- Why You Should Always Wear Sunscreen and Not Just On Vacation
- Why You Should Wear Sunscreen on a Plane
Want even more travel tips? Subscribe to the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! All you have to do is sign up for the weekly newsletter by filling in your email address and checking the Daily Travel Tip box in the top-right corner of the homepage.
If you already subscribe to the newsletter, fill in your email and check the Daily Travel Tip box in the same top-right corner of the homepage and you’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile and you’ll have Johnny’s best tips, straight to your inbox each day. And don’t worry—it’s easier than it sounds!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.