Since we live on opposite sides of the country and work a lot, my little sis and I couldn’t even recall the last time we spent two weeks together. In March, we finally made it happen: 14 days in Southeast Asia on a Holland America cruise. We sailed on the Volendam to Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, and Myanmar. Our goal was to see and do everything we could. But it turns out we got much more.
We became friends with elephants in Thailand and protected ourselves from crazy monkeys in Malaysia. We gobbled down some of the best street food in Singapore after running (and dancing!) through the pouring rain to the food stall. In Myanmar, we stood in awe directly underneath one of the world’s most beautiful gold pagodas at sunset.
We chatted with local people—whether it was in the market, while riding a rickshaw, or during a walk through a village. On sea days we took morning tai chi, relaxed at the ship’s pool, ate great food, made friends aboard, sang with the piano man, and shared laughs with the awesome Holland America crew.
Those moments and experiences shared are really why we went.
Cruising can really show you another beautiful side of a person—even when you think you know all there is to know. The challenging part remains making time to get away from our 24/7-connected, busy lives.
While I travel a lot as it is, sharing wonderful moments with people around me, this experience was unique because of the person I shared it with. So now I tell all of you, even amid the hustle and bustle of life and work: Take the time to go somewhere with someone you care about, whether you see them everyday or once a year—no matter what you do and where you go.
Just make the time to find new experiences.
Sis, next item on the itinerary is to figure out how we get your amazing boss to let you do this more often.
This is the first part in Caitlin Martin’s series on her Holland America adventures in Southeast Asia. Check out the next part here—and stay tuned for more next week!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.