I had intended to interview my friend Angela Sun for my 39 Travel Questions YouTube/Podcast series but when I learned that she was the first person to test positive for Covid-19 in Cairns, Australia, I had to change the course of this interview. In fact, I interviewed her twice. Once to do the 39 Travel Questions and again to find out what her experience was like Down Under, as well as the flight back to the U.S.A.
It’s really interesting. When she tested positive, she had to quarantine in a hospital for 14 days even though she didn’t have severe symptoms. In fact, she said, she was mostly tired and it came in waves. So some days she felt good but others not so good with a mild fever.
What I also found interesting is that when leaving Australia, they tested people and even to get into the airport, there were checkpoints. But when she landed at SFO there was absolutely nothing. No temperature tests, no questions and no mandatory quarantine. What’s up with that, USA?
It took her multiple flights to get home: Cairns to Brisbane, Brisbane to Sydney, Sydney to San Francisco and San Francisco to Los Angeles – so she was in five different airports. She says the airports were like ghost towns, even in the middle of the day. No shops open and no Ubers outside. It was bizarre.
If you listen to the podcast or watch on YouTube, you can tell there’s a huge difference between how things are handled in Australia and the U.S. To compare and contrast, listen to my podcast with Kylie Robertson about her flight from San Francisco to Sydney and what it’s like being quarantined once you arrive in Australia from an overseas flight.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.