When I read that Vietnam was ranked second in the world (after New Zealand) at keeping COVID-19 at bay, and then had multiple readers ask me for Vietnam-related travel advice, I decided to interview a friend who’s also a travel writer who now lives there.
I met James Clark over a dozen years ago in New York City at a travel conference. Then I caught up with him again when we both happened to be in Malaysia. James is originally from Australia and has traveled all over the world and documented it on his site NomadicNotes.com.
He also writes about transport and infrastructure in Southeast Asia at Future Southeast Asia. He is currently based in Ho Chi Minh City and sat down with me to talk about what it’s like to live in Vietnam. It’s really remarkable how the government has prevented COVID-19 from spreading and how affordable Vietnam is to live … so much so that I was thinking about moving a close relative there so they could live like a king just on their social security check instead of struggling to get by.
I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.