Virtuoso, the world’s leading international luxury travel agency network, has identified where affluent Americans are traveling this summer. Thanks to travel’s unprecedented resurgence and Virtuoso’s data warehouse of more than $49.5 billion in travel bookings, they were able to pinpoint the top 10 domestic and international destinations for the 2022 summer season. I sat down with Misty Belles, Virtuoso’s Vice President, Global Public Relations to talk about the findings. See video and lists below:
82 percent of Virtuoso travelers polled said that they were heading to the beach. A-list destinations like Africa, Australia and Alaska that were unavailable to Americans last year are now the ones to watch.
Top 10 U.S. Destinations for Summer 2022:
- South Carolina
- New York
Traditional ski destinations like Colorado and Montana are emerging as summer playgrounds while southeastern states, including South Carolina and Florida, continue to be popular into the warmer months. “Meanwhile, Alaska cracks the top 10 without even taking into account the cruising season, which is how most travelers experience the state. Washington’s surge in bookings is likely in support of the Alaska summer season, as many travelers choose to stay over and enjoy the Evergreen State. Overall, though, California leads the way for summer travel by offering amazing diversity throughout the state, from expansive beaches to culturally rich cities, not to mention some of the country’s best food and wine offerings.”
Top 10 Destinations for Summer 2022:
- United States
- United Kingdom
While most Americans are continuing to explore the U.S., it’s the return to European summer vacations following a two-year hiatus that is clearly garnering the most excitement. With seven of the top 10 destinations located in Europe, pent-up demand is outweighing any concerns associated with the conflict in Ukraine. Neighboring Canada, which was also off-limits to U.S. travelers last summer, is making its return to the list. And to the south, Mexico remains a yearlong favorite.
All data is based on hotel bookings made by Virtuoso-affiliated U.S. leisure travelers and includes travel for June, July and August 2022. To learn more about travel to any of the above destinations or for more Virtuoso travel trend insights, visit virtuoso.com.
Wherever travelers decide to go this summer, they need to plan and book quickly. Virtuoso advisors say that favorite spots such as Italy’s Amalfi Coast, where my grandparents were from, are nearly sold out.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.