Believe it or not, Valentine’s Day is right around the corner. Cards, candies and heart-shaped things of all kinds are on display in shop windows. Restaurants are advertising Valentine’s Day menus, and, in some cities, reservations are booking out. It’s not the biggest travel holiday of the year but make no mistake: Millions of American couples (and others) will be heading off on weekend getaways, leaving some airports and roads more congested than usual. So where are people going?
To determine where people are traveling for Valentine’s Day 2022, our friends at Allianz (I have an annual plan and am a brand ambassador) decided to dive into the data. (Allianz has done the same thing in past years.) By looking at bookings that include roundtrip flights for two passengers departing and returning to U.S. airports, inside the extended V-Day weekend (February 10-15) or the weekend before it (February 3-7), Allianz was able to produce a ranking of Valentine’s Day destinations.
Domestically, Orlando came out as #1, with Las Vegas, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, and Phoenix rounding out the top five. Outside the U.S., the bookings Allianz looked at featured the ever-popular Cancun as the most common destination. Two other parts of Mexico—Mexico City, San Jose Del Cabo and Puerto Vallarta—followed at #1, #2 and #3, respectively.
Here are the complete findings regarding where Americans will be traveling for Valentine’s Day:
Are you traveling for Valentine’s Day?
Where are you going? Please share in the comments below!
Disclaimer: Johnny Jet occasionally works as an ambassador for Allianz Global Assistance (AGA Service Company) and receives financial compensation.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.