Yesterday, a reader named Lisa emailed me with this question: “Where is the best source of current info for Covid testing for travel? I’m going to Cabo and I understand I need a negative test to get back into the US but how about to get on Alaska Air to fly LAX to Cabo?”
It’s a great question and one I think a lot of travelers are asking.
For starters, every traveler, regardless of their nationality, now needs proof of a negative COVID-19 test 72 hours prior to arriving into the United States. Yes, even American citizens. Here are the highlights of the CDC’s FAQ page, which explains the rules, who’s exempt and the type of tests needed.
RELATED: Where to Buy N95 and KN95 Face Masks
Now to answer Lisa’s question: I recommend going directly to the source. So in Lisa’s case, I recommend looking up the test requirements for her destination via Visit Los Cabos and of the airline she’s flying, Alaska Air.
I also highly recommend having a backup plan, like figuring out who is going to pay for your 14-day quarantine if you or a family member tests positive while away. Spoiler alert: It’s not the US government but some resorts will pay for it as well as the tests so choose wisely. Also, if you’re not going to a touristy destination frequented by Americans, make sure it’s easy to find a place to get tested and make an appointment (if needed). Don’t wait until the last day of your vacation. And I would definitely look into getting a travel insurance policy that will cover your needs.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.