Yesterday, a reader named Lisa emailed me with this question: “Where is the best source of current info for Covid testing for travel? I’m going to Cabo and I understand I need a negative test to get back into the US but how about to get on Alaska Air to fly LAX to Cabo?”
It’s a great question and one I think a lot of travelers are asking.
For starters, every traveler, regardless of their nationality, now needs proof of a negative COVID-19 test 72 hours prior to arriving into the United States. Yes, even American citizens. Here are the highlights of the CDC’s FAQ page, which explains the rules, who’s exempt and the type of tests needed.
RELATED: Where to Buy N95 and KN95 Face Masks
Now to answer Lisa’s question: I recommend going directly to the source. So in Lisa’s case, I recommend looking up the test requirements for her destination via Visit Los Cabos and of the airline she’s flying, Alaska Air.
I also highly recommend having a backup plan, like figuring out who is going to pay for your 14-day quarantine if you or a family member tests positive while away. Spoiler alert: It’s not the US government but some resorts will pay for it as well as the tests so choose wisely. Also, if you’re not going to a touristy destination frequented by Americans, make sure it’s easy to find a place to get tested and make an appointment (if needed). Don’t wait until the last day of your vacation. And I would definitely look into getting a travel insurance policy that will cover your needs.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.