Hotel rates in San Francisco are rising fast, but competitive prices are hardly the only thing going for Oakland’s hotel and accommodations industry. The “new Brooklyn” is full of hotels up and down the pricing scale and offering incredibly different experiences from which to base your Oakland adventures. I was in the city for three nights and stayed at three different places. All were quite different so visitors definitely have options.
The Waterfront Hotel
The Waterfront Hotel is in Jack London Square (10 Washington Street; 510-836-3800) and is part of California’s largest boutique hotel collection, Joie de Vivre properties. It’s a fun hotel with a vibrant nautical decor right on Oakland’s waterfront. Rates start at $129. Note: When I was there, their free Wi-Fi was really slow.
If you’re a business traveler and like things to be where they always are and want to accrue more points, then the Marriott Oakland (1001 Broadway; 510-451-4000) will probably be your choice. It’s in the heart of the city and does a nice job except for the long front desk lines. Rates also start at $129.
This is Oakland’s nicest hotel. The Claremont has been around for 100 years and the lobby reminds me a lot of the Moana Surfrider in Waikiki. The address is technically in Berkeley but half the hotel is in Oakland. They have a world-class spa and tennis center. Rates start at $199.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.