Hotel rates in San Francisco are rising fast, but competitive prices are hardly the only thing going for Oakland’s hotel and accommodations industry. The “new Brooklyn” is full of hotels up and down the pricing scale and offering incredibly different experiences from which to base your Oakland adventures. I was in the city for three nights and stayed at three different places. All were quite different so visitors definitely have options.
The Waterfront Hotel
The Waterfront Hotel is in Jack London Square (10 Washington Street; 510-836-3800) and is part of California’s largest boutique hotel collection, Joie de Vivre properties. It’s a fun hotel with a vibrant nautical decor right on Oakland’s waterfront. Rates start at $129. Note: When I was there, their free Wi-Fi was really slow.
If you’re a business traveler and like things to be where they always are and want to accrue more points, then the Marriott Oakland (1001 Broadway; 510-451-4000) will probably be your choice. It’s in the heart of the city and does a nice job except for the long front desk lines. Rates also start at $129.
This is Oakland’s nicest hotel. The Claremont has been around for 100 years and the lobby reminds me a lot of the Moana Surfrider in Waikiki. The address is technically in Berkeley but half the hotel is in Oakland. They have a world-class spa and tennis center. Rates start at $199.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.