Our good friends at Allianz Global Assistance recently collected more insight into the psyche of the American traveler, this time on the subject of cruising. From a survey of 1,883 Americans, the group learned that 66%—a full two-thirds—of Americans have never been on a cruise. The reason? It varies:
- 47% of non-cruisers reported it was because of prohibitive price or cost
- 22% stated that cruises have a bad reputation or word of mouth
- 10% cited a susceptibility to seasickness
- 8% claimed a fear of getting ill or sustaining injury
- 7% feared shipwrecks
- And 6% said claustrophobia was to blame
It’s clear from Allianz’s findings that there is a large chunk of potential American cruisers that the cruise industry is simply not reaching. The top two justifications from non-cruisers, in fact, which totaled 69%, concern price points and image, “pointing to the industry’s need to target cost conscious consumers and bolster cruising’s image.”
Said Joe Mason, Chief Marketing Officer at Allianz Global Assistance USA: “Cruises represent a significant travel investment, so it’s important that Americans protect that investment when they do book a cruise”—and to an extent, he’s right. Not everyone is a cruiser, but a good travel insurance policy like Johnny’s can go a long way to combatting some of the anxieties at least some potential cruisers face. Only 16% of cruisers purchased insurance according to the survey. And just as importantly:
- 7.9% of people surveyed have been sick on a cruise
- 1% have been injured on a cruise
- 1.6% have missed a cruise due to flight cancelations or delays
Cruise, or don’t cruise—but if you choose not to out of a concern for your health or safety, make sure you’ve evaluated the risks in full.
Disclaimer: Johnny Jet works as an ambassador for Allianz Global Assistance (AGA Service Company) and receives financial compensation.
For more information about Allianz Global, visit AllianzTravelInsurance.com.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.