Hurricane Sandy walloped the Northeast and now another winter storm “Athena” is about hit. Our thoughts and prayers go out to those who were affected. For people who are traveling to these areas we’ve partnered with Expedia to assemble a resource page with brand new information to help make your travels go smoother.
- Airlines, airports regain footing after nor’easter
- Approximately 55,000 new power outages have been reported in New York City and Westchester, approximately 20,000 in New Jersey and 60,000 in Long Island. The outages add to the large number of consumers who were already without power as a result of Hurricane Sandy. Despite the new outages, damage from the storm appears to have been minimal. Ground transportation disruptions are also less than expected, and roads and rail lines in New Jersey and New York City are largely clear. Continuing flight cancellations in New York City area airports have caused carry-over disruptions in other parts of the country.
- Winter Storm Athena Forecast Impacts
AIRLINE TRAVEL POLICIES FOR HURRICANE SANDY & ATHENA
Air Canada | Air Tran| Alaska | American Airlines| British Airways | Delta | Frontier | Hawaiian | JetBlue | Southwest | Spirit | Sun Country| United | US Airways | Virgin America | WestJet | Every Airline Website and Phone Number | Expedia’s resource for Airline Flexibility Policies
If you booked through an online travel agency, sites like Expedia have assembled crisis teams who are working overtime to make sure travelers have updated information from airlines that serve the east coast. But if you have non-urgent customer service issues, it’s a good idea to call in a few days so those with critical problems can get through as quickly as possible.
WHO TO FOLLOW ON TWITTER
It seems like everyone is tweeting about Hurricane Sandy but now that the storm has passed, here’s where you can find some of the best, most up-to-date information to answer questions about travel plans:
Live Airline Twitter Feed | Every Airline and Travel Resource on Twitter | @AmericanAir | @Delta| @Expedia |@JetBlue | @Southwestair | @Spiritairlines | @United | @USAirways |@VirginAmerica | @PANYNJ | @RedCross | @FEMA
Cruise Ships | How Hurricane Sandy will affect cruises going forward| Expedia’s Hassle-free Hurricane Promise
Many people are wondering about the impact of Sandy on cruises and according to Expedia, very few have been cancelled. However, the ports might have changed so be sure to contact the cruise line.
Advertisement: Best Travel Credit Cards.
GOOD TO KNOW
Got questions about traveling, hotels, car rentals and flights? These links will point you in the right direction:
- Here’s Why Travelers Should Care About Named Winter Storms
- FAA Delays | Flight Trackers | Google Crisis Map
- Every Hotel, Car Rental and Cruise Line Website and Phone #
HOW TO HELP
There are many ways you can help with relief efforts, following Hurricane Sandy. Help #Sandy victims by texting REDCROSS to 90999 for a $10 donation or visit rdcrss.org/OvLycy
Airlines reward customers who donate to Hurricane Sandy relief
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.