Story and Images by: Michaela Guzy, Founder of OhThePeopleYouMeet.com.
After seven days of no showering and hiking up Kilimanjaro, I was ready for some active relaxation. My friends at Adventure International insisted that Zanzibar, a series of islands off the eastern coast of Africa in the Indian Ocean, were exactly what the doctor ordered. According to Wikipedia, about 95 percent of Zanzibar’s population follow the laws of Islam with the remaining 5 percent are mostly Christians. (Pictured, you will see that most women cover their shoulders and heads and wear floor length skirts– all with the most colorful textiles!)
My inability to sit still allowed for me to see all that the historic Stone Town – a World Heritage Site – had to offer…from lunch on the beach at the famous Freddy Mercury’s (Bohemian Rhapsody anyone?), the spice markets, the former slave trade market and auction, to the winding alleys with street food & shops (both Mago East Africa-pictured and Doreen Mashika Shop are modern local designers not to be missed). I even discovered a great Moroccan style boutique hotel, Jafferji House & Spa, in the heart of the city– delicious food, amazing photography (the owner’s) and the views of the city and the sea from the outdoor rooftop spa are breathtaking.
After running up a mountain and around a bustling city with the stark contrast of modernization and crumbling buildings, I was ready for a little beach time. Happy to report that just a chaotic one hour drive behind a donkey cart later (pictured below), I arrived at the beach. Zanzibar not only has stunning white sands, but plenty of wildlife, sea turtle expeditions, dhow rides but active communities who spend their days fishing on the beach. Not many of the local fishermen and women spoke English, but I was able to ask one young lady if she ate a lot of sea urchins (pictured in the buckets). She looked at me as any teenage girl would do, with a hip cocked, eye brow raised and a smirk, “No, the Japanese eat them”. In my three months across Africa, I came to find the locals prefer red meat.
I had the pleasure of staying at Matemwe, a part of Asilia Lodges, who support their local fishing village by purchasing local veggies and fish, local crafts, the school in the neighboring village (check out the adorable pictures below of the children in uniform on their walk home) and Pack for Purpose. About half the of Zanzibar’s population lives below the poverty line, making Matemwe’s programs all the more vital.
The views from my room, which I may add was about the size of the house I grew up in, were ridiculous: The sea is crystal blue, it’s as if the hotel paid the rustic dhows to row past all day, the plunge pool on the roof deck was a nice touch, but the private local butler gave Matemwe the gold star for a hotel that got “Luxury with a Conscience” right.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.