Zello is a free walkie-talkie app that launched in 2011 and made it to the top of the U.S. app store this week thanks to hurricanes Harvey and Irma. Zello lets users use their phones as walkie-talkies or two-way radios as long as there’s a network or Wi-Fi connection. Anyone can join channels and instantly send voice messages or photos. The app doesn’t have ads but there is a paid version for companies.
Rescue workers in the past have used it but a volunteer rescue group called the Cajun Navy that formed after Hurricane Katrina started frequently using it, which helped make it popular. When Hurricane Harvey hit, new channels started popping up on the app for groups like Texas Search and Rescue and Houston-area midwives.
As you can read in this detailed Houston Chronicle article, the app is key in disasters when 911 and first responders are unavailable. The writer says she learned, “One of the key suggestions of the training session was that when I received a rescue request, I needed to try to call the person making the request if possible to get more details and to ensure that it was a legitimate request. Unfortunately, there had been reports of people calling in fake rescue requests and then robbing the volunteers when they arrived. Despicable.”
If or sadly when there’s another disaster and you need or want to help, download Zello and get crackin’.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.