I admit it, I’m new to Instagram. It’s not because I wasn’t a believer … it’s just that I was carrying around a prehistoric Blackberry, since I was grandfathered into T-Mobile’s international plan. When T-Mobile announced free international data I upgraded to a Nokia Lumia 1020, which has a kickass camera (41 megapixels!) I’ve only lately started posting to Instagram. It’s not only fun to share my travels but I can quickly see what my friends are up to and get inspired by travelers I may only know through social media.
Here are the 14 best travel Instagrammers you should follow in 2014. Some I know, some I don’t. Oh and if you want to follow me, my handle is JohnnyJet – I travel to around 20 countries a year and my wife, NatalieDiScala, comes with me to many of them.
Katja Presnal is a Finnish girl who met a Texan in Germany and they travel so much, their three kids were born in three different countries. Last year they moved from New York to Sweden so you will often see picturesque photos of Sweden on Katja’s Instagram feed.
JD Andrews, like most of us in this industry, find travel to be our passion. JD lives in south Florida but travels often and he’s been to 90 countries and all seven continents. Along the way, he creates inspiring videos and photographs and shares them on Instagram. Travel Style: JD Andrews
Gary Arndt has been traveling non-stop since 2007. He’s visited over 140 countries and territories, and all seven continents. He was just voted travel photographer of the year by the Society of American Travel Writers (SATW). Travel Style: Gary Arndt
Dave & Deb are a dynamic travel couple based out of Toronto but are rarely home. They run the adventure travel blog ThePlanetD.Com and inspire other couples to quit the rat race and see the world. They’ve been to over 80 countries and all seven continents. Travel Style: Dave & Deb
Kirsten is a travel photographer by trade and can often be found teaching seminars on mobile travel photography. She’s based in New York City and is currently in charge of curating the guide to NYC for AFAR’s active online travel community and is a blogger for ExpediaUK. Travel Style: Kirsten Alana
I’m pretty sure Ben Schlappig is not only the youngest person (23) on this list but he also flies the most … over 300,000 miles a year. Ben is constantly on the go as he doesn’t like staying anywhere for more than three days. If you like to see photos of first class on a large variety of airlines, then follow Ben. Travel Style: Ben Schlappig
Just like Ben, Brian Kelly is also a young, frequent traveler and the master of accumulating a lot of points and miles. He not only runs the successful website ThePointsGuy.com, but he’s also constantly taking snapshots of the world as he goes. Travel Style: Brian Kelly
Jen Pollack Bianco is a travel photographer-slash-blogger. She lives in L.A. but is always on the go and can be found everywhere, from a five star hotel to a dive bar. Oh and her Instagram handle is LAX2NRT because Los Angeles to Tokyo is her favorite route. Travel Style: Jen Pollack Bianco
Jodi Ettenberg quit her job as a successful lawyer to travel the world. She’s been eating her way around the world, one country at a time for the last five years. Travel Style: Jodi Ettenberg
James Clark is originally from Melbourne, Australian but since 2003 he’s been on the road as a digital nomad. Follow him on Instagram and you’ll see that he loves good coffee, travel and the Internet. Travel Style: James Clark
Ken is a travel photographer and what I like about his account is that all of his Instagram photos are shot and edited on an iPhone.
Zach Glassman is a travel documentarian and polyglot based out of NYC. He’s also the founder of @passionpassport. If you want to get inspired, then be one of his 100,000 followers.
Lindsey Tramuta is a freelance writer based out of Paris. She spends a good amount of time traveling and is always taking incredible photos of delicious looking food.
So there’s my list of the 14 best travel Instagrammers to follow in 2014. As I sat down to pull this piece together, I realized I could have listed 99 (there’s so much great talent out there!) but that’s going to have to wait 85 years. In the meantime, I created this resource of the other travel Instagrammers you may want to follow. And if I have missed any, please leave a comment below so we can potentially add it.
Happy New Year!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.