Almost everyone I know is freaked out about novel coronavirus, myself included. In fact, I just canceled my round-the-world trip, which was supposed to begin in just over a week because of it. Here’s that story, including my reasoning.
Most of my readers know that I take germs seriously (almost Howard-Hughes-level seriously). I used to recommend using antibacterial wipes to wipe down your plane seat (etc.) before sitting down, but after watching so much coronavirus coverage and reading this Airfarewatchdog article, I realize that antibacterial wipes aren’t strong enough to kill most germs.
So, I just updated my post on 11 ways to avoid getting sick on the plane, which includes a section on wiping down your seat. I’m now recommending and ordering Clorox and SONO disinfecting wipes, the latter of which calls itself “medical-grade.” Using them is simple enough, though as Airfarewatchdog writes, “it’s important to allow surfaces time to properly dry after you wipe [them] down. ‘Although our wipes have a four minute contact time, we recommend letting the device sit for at least 10 minutes before wiping off the residue left behind..,’ explains a SONO rep. ‘This will ensure that all the EPA registered pathogens are killed and removed.'”
The next time I fly, stay in a hotel or rent a car, I’ll be prepared to wipe down my seat/room/car accordingly.
More on Clorox and SONO disinfecting wipes
One box (75 wipes) of Clorox disinfecting wipes goes for $4.48 on Amazon, while a pack of six boxes is $37.99. From the product description:
- Disinfecting Wipes: clean, disinfect and sanitize with a powerful antibacterial Wipe killing 99.9 percent of bacteria and viruses in as little as 30 seconds as well as common allergens
- All purpose Wipe: easy to stack, space saving pack allows you to take Clorox Disinfecting Wipes anywhere including on the go
- Multi surface cleaner: germs and messes occur on more than kitchen counters and bathroom surfaces Conveniently tackle any tough surface including finished wood, sealed granite and stainless steel
- Easy pull pack: new easy to pull flip top pack allows for the easiest way to clean and disinfect: open with one hand, dispenses one wipe at a Time
- No bleach: disinfect and deodorize with the fresh smell of Clorox Disinfecting Wipes for a bleach free, all in one cleaning alternative; Safely Wipe down toys, remotes, or clean up car spills with these sanitizing wipes
A three-pack of SONO disinfecting wipes goes for $17.99 on Amazon. From the product description:
- Kills 99.9999% of germs and bacteria
- 20 count soft pack is easy to take with you when on the go
- Easily fits in your purse or glove box of your car
- Travel safe
- Kills 47 + bacteria and germs that cause disease
- Kills viruses such as MRSA, H1N1 and many more!
Have your own tip? Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 1,639!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Enter your email address and check “Daily Travel Tip” to receive Johnny’s best tips in your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check “Daily Travel Tip” on the same page. You’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.