Travel agents are gaining momentum again, thanks in part to the rise of online booking. With the massive overload of information available online, people are getting overwhelmed and looking to agents to cut through the clutter. Additionally, travel agents are familiar with their destinations, they know the best ways to get around in these places, and they often have access to more VIP and upgrade perks. Some even honor online deals if you find a cheaper price somewhere else.
There are studies suggesting that young people are even using agents now. MMGY research says that 34% of younger “millennial” travelers consulted an offline travel agent in 2015 and 39% of respondents said they planned to consult a travel agent in the near future.
All that being said, we thought it would be fun to recap some interesting—okay, bizarre—requests that the American Society of Travel Agents (ASTA) compiled. And, yes, these are real requests made to ASTA agents. Please enjoy!
- “Can you make sure I don’t get a window seat on the plane because I just had my hair done?”
- “Are there toll roads on the way to Hawaii?”
- “Can I fish off of the cruise ship?”
- “Do they speak English in Britain?”
- “Can I bring a 12 pack of Tab on the plane?” (Agent responds: First of all, where did you find Tab? And no you can’t bring it on the plane.)
- “Can you set it up so that the whales jump in the background at the same time I’m proposing to my girlfriend?”
- “I was looking online at the picture of our room. I hate the curtains. I don’t think I’ll be able to sleep in that room with those curtains. Can you cancel the whole trip?”
- “Don’t tell my fiancé this is where I took my first wife for our honeymoon.”
- “I’d love a train trip to Africa…No, I mean I want a train trip from New York to Cape Town.”
- Guest in the aft of the ship… “Which elevator takes you to the front of the ship?”
- I had a grandmother and granddaughter who wanted to visit China. When informed that they needed visas, the grandmother responded, “No we don’t. I went to China with my church group last year and I was able to use my American Express card all over the country.”
- “Can you please book the honeymoon suite for us and another couple?”
- “I want to take a cruise to Las Vegas.”
- “Does the crew actually sleep onboard the cruise ship?”
- “Can we drive our rental car in Hawaii out of state? We want to go to Alaska. After all, they are the 49th and 50th states on the map… so there must be a bridge, right?”
- “I would like to go somewhere where there are NOT a lot of men.”
- “I’d like to get married in the Caribbean on an island where the marriage is not legal in the U.S.”
- “Will there be shadows on my face at 4 p.m. when the pictures are taken?”
- “Will you watch my pet while I’m away?”
- “How can I get to Europe without going by air or sea?”
- “I’d like to visit Scotland and Denmark on the same trip.” (Agent then tells client he does not have time in his schedule to travel the distance). “But they’re only an inch apart on the map!”
- “Can you ask the airline to block the seat next to me so I can stretch out?”
See…some people may need travel agents even more than we think!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.