Human trafficking is not something I’ve ever thought I needed to be on the lookout for while traveling, but after seeing multiple interviews lately, I’m going to start keeping my eyes open—including on domestic flights.
I’m also going to be paying close attention to the work of Airline Ambassadors. This wonderful volunteer group of flight attendants is really making a difference in the fight against this heinous activity. According to NBC News, “U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement arrested 2,000 human traffickers and identified 400 victims last year.” Well, Airline Ambassadors has been working to make sure that when a trafficker flies with a victim, the flight crew is trained to spot and report them. And they’ve created a webpage and apps (Google Play & iTunes) that enable the public to share vital information that can save lives.
Here’s what to look for and how to report human trafficking, from Airline Ambassadors:
Know the indicators:
- Indicator 1: The person has no control of his or her travel and identification documents.
- Indicator 2: The person has no freedom of movement or social interaction.
- Indicator 3: The person has no logical means of reaching, or lacks knowledge of, his or her final destination.
- Indicator 4: A child traveler does not seem to be accompanied by his or her parent or legitimate guardian.
- Do not confront the suspected trafficker or suspected victim.
- Do not draw unnecessary attention to the suspected trafficker or suspected victim that may alert them to your suspicions.
Do report your observations. In addition to submitting video alerts, call the DHS tip line, you will be asked:
- Airline, flight number, and seat number;
- If the individual is currently in-flight;
- Arrival city and estimated time of arrival;
- Identities (names, citizenship, etc.) of suspected victims and/or suspected traffickers
- Physical descriptions of the suspected victims and traffickers; and indicator(s) you saw or heard.
- Call 866-347-2423 toll free in U.S. and Canada, 24 hour a day
- Call 802-872-6199 (tolls apply) in any country in the world, 24 hours
- They also suggest you call: National Human Trafficking Hotline at 1-888-373-7888 and or 911
Another service to report an incident you are witnessing lets you take a picture of the person you suspect is in danger and text it to 909-ALERT-US (909-253-7887) where Bashpole will search for the person in their database and alert authorities. You can read more about this service here.
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Just fill in your email address and check the Daily Travel Tip box—and you’ll have Johnny’s best tips, straight to your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check the Daily Travel Tip box on the same page and you’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.