As you know, the travel industry has been hit the hardest by COVID-19. It’s the first time in my 25 years of sending Johnny Jet’s Travel News, Deals and Tips that I had to ask for donations. I’m just one of the hundreds of millions of people in this industry affected by this pandemic.
Unfortunately, the government money the airlines were given runs out tomorrow and unless there’s an 11th-hour package deal, many aviation experts are predicting tens of thousands more jobs will be lost. They’re calling it Terrible Thursday.
American Airlines is expected to furlough more than 19,000 jobs including 8,000 flight attendants. One of them is Breaunna Ross, who shared a three-minute Facebook video of what is expected to be her last PA announcement, when the flight she was working touched down in Dallas on Sunday night. You can watch the video here and here’s the transcript, thanks to TravelPulse.com:
“As all of you know, the airline industry has been impacted greatly by this global pandemic. Unfortunately, this is my last working day before that day comes. I will never forget seeing your faces today. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for the kindness shown on today’s flight.
“I also want to personally thank each and every one of you for choosing to fly American today. This job was an escape for me after being unhappy with my job after graduating from college. It was a job that awarded me many opportunities. A job that I fell in love with. I have been to places I thought I’d never have the opportunity to go and places I never knew existed. I’ve met people from all walks of life and made friendships that will last the rest of my life.
“With so much happening in the world, you never know how small actions can impact the next person. Please be kind to one another, practice compassion with everyone and live with acceptance of yourself and others.”
It’s difficult to watch without shedding a tear and I definitely got choked up. It’s a difficult time for everyone and a great reminder to be kind to one another.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.