This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
There are very few premium business cards. One of them is the American Express® Business Gold Card. If you are looking for a way to maximize your travel and daily business purchases, this might be your card. This American Express Business Gold review will help you decide if the Business Gold is worth owning.
Here is our American Express® Business Gold Card review.
American Express Business Gold Review
The American Express Business Gold has a $295 annual fee (See Rates & Fees) which might make you wince at first. But before you dismiss it, know that there might be perks that benefit you and will be worth the fee. This card can be a good option if you have large monthly expenses and plan on redeeming your rewards points for award travel.
New American Express® Business Gold Card cardholders can earn 70,000 points after spending $10,000 on eligible purchases with the Business Gold Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership.*
Earning Membership Rewards
The main reason to consider applying for the Business Gold is for flexible ways to earn and redeem rewards points. Every purchase earns American Express Membership Rewards points which are some of the most valuable card points available.
Pro Tip: If you’re looking for ways to earn travel rewards, check out our guide to the best rewards credit cards. You’ll find flexible, airline, hotel, cash back, and business credit cards that can help you reach your travel goals quickly.
Your first $150,000 in combined annual spending earns 4 Membership Rewards per $1 on the 2 categories which your business spent the most each billing cycle*:
- Airfare purchased directly from airlines
- Advertising in select media (online, TV, and radio) – U.S. purchases only
- U.S. purchases made directly from select technology providers of computer hardware, software, and cloud solutions
- Gas stations – U.S. purchases only
- Restaurants – U.S. purchases only
- U.S. purchases for shipping
Except for airfare purchases, you can only earn bonus points on the other 5 categories if the purchases happen in the U.S. All annual spending above $150,000 for the bonus categories and all non-bonus spending earns an unlimited 1 point per $1.
As this is a travel rewards card, one of your two bonus categories might be travel. The second category can be one of your larger business travel or daily operation expense.
American Express Business Gold Review: Redeeming Points
Redeeming miles is fairly simple (as is exemplified in our redeeming Capital One Venture miles guide). With the American Express Business Gold card, your points are most valuable when redeeming for award flights. You can also book other types of award travel or cash rewards. However, your points will most likely be worth less than 1 cent each.
25% Award Flight Redemption Bonus
The most valuable redemption option can be the 25% award flight redemption bonus. You get 25% of your points back when booking award flights through AmexTravel.com to redeem a second time*. This makes the effective cash value of each point at 1.25 cent each.
Each point is worth 1 cent each when booking award flights through Amex Travel. For example, you will need 30,000 points to book a $300 award flight. You then get 3,000 points back to redeem next time.
This redemption bonus applies to one airline of your choice plus any business or first class flight on any qualifying airline. You can get up to 250,000 points back each year.
1:1 Point Transfers
Another main reason to get the American Express® Business Gold Card is the Membership Rewards airline and hotel transfer partners. It’s possible to transfer your points on a 1:1 basis to many of the best domestic and international frequent flyer programs.
Transferring points requires a little more effort but you can get more value from each point. You might consider booking directly through the carrier when each point is worth more than 1.25 cents each. This can be easier than you think for most airlines if you have flexible travel dates.
Here are the American Express Membership Rewards travel partners:
- Aer Lingus
- Air Canada
- Air France
- Asia Miles
- British Airways
- Delta Air Lines
- El Al Israel Airlines
- Hawaiian Airlines
- Singapore Airlines
- Virgin Atlantic Airways
- Choice Privileges
- Hilton Honors
- Marriott Bonvoy
You can find good value by booking flights operated through these airlines (side note that Hawaiian Airlines Credit Cards and Avianca LifeMiles Credit Cards each currently have their own limited time offers with high mile-earning opportunities). Another way to save points is by booking partner flights.
For instance, you can book a United Airlines partner flight through Singapore Airlines to Hawaii for 35,000 points roundtrip. Booking directly through United costs you 45,000 miles. You might also notice that United isn’t an Amex transfer partner, so this is a backdoor way to fly on United with Membership Rewards.
Another option is transferring your miles to British Airways. Short-haul flights in Europe and Asia start at 4,000 Avios. You can also book partner flights on American Airlines starting at 7,500 points for flights less than 500 miles when Delta isn’t a good redemption option for your destination.
American Express Business Gold Review: Additional Benefits
You will need to get the American Express Business Platinum Card if you want perks like a $200 airline fee credit (enrollment required) or airport lounge access. But you can still enjoy several travel protection benefits with the Amex Business Gold, as exemplified below.
Premium Roadside Assistance
This is one of the few cards that offer free roadside assistance up to four times a year. You get complimentary tows up to 10 miles, battery jumpstarts, and flat tire service.
Lost, damaged, or stolen luggage is eligible for $1,250 in carry-on baggage and $500 in checked baggage reimbursement. These benefits can be in addition to any compensation the airline gives you. You will need to book your entire ticket with the Business Gold Card to qualify for the Amex baggage insurance plan.
Pay Over Time
American Express Business Gold cardholders also have access to a Pay Over Time Option that lets cardholders decide whether they want to pay for their eligible purchases in full each month or pay over time with interest (terms apply).
The annual fee is $295 starting with your first monthly statement. But, you won’t pay any foreign transaction fees (See Rates & Fees). While this fee is higher than most business cards, it can be worth it if you can maximize the bonus categories and travel redemption options.
However, if you are looking for more options, one of the best Chase business credit cards may be better suited to your needs. Some options include hotel business cards, cash back business cards, and even business cards without an annual fee.
If you are looking to stay in the American Express family but want to avoid annual fees, the American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card doesn’t have an annual fee (See Rates & Fees) but also doesn’t come with as many perks. Cardholders earn 2% cash back on the first $50,000 spent annually, then 1% cash back thereafter. Earned cash back is automatically credited monthly to the account as a statement credit.
It also comes with Expanded Buying Power which gives cardholders the ability to spend beyond their credit limit. Just remember, the amount you can spend above your credit limit is not unlimited. It adjusts with your use of the Card, your payment history, credit record, financial resources known to American Express, and other factors.
New American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card cardholders can earn a $250 statement credit after making $3,000 in purchases on their Card in the first 3 months.
Credit Score Needed for the American Express Business Gold
You will have the best approval odds with a 670 personal credit score which is the starting point of good credit. A steady business income and being in operation for several years is also important.
American Express Business Gold Review: Positives and Negatives
The highlights below can help you quickly decide if the American Express® Business Gold Card is a good option for you.
- 25% award flight redemption bonus
- 1:1 Membership Rewards airline and hotel point transfers
- Earn 4x bonus points on two purchase categories (Up to $150,000 in annual spend)
- No foreign transaction fee
- No complimentary travel credits or airport lounge access
- Points are worth less than 1 cent each when not redeemed for award flights
Summary of American Express Business Gold Review
The American Express Business Gold Card can be a good option if you can earn plenty of points from the two 4x bonus categories and redeem your points for award flights. The premium travel insurance benefits can also be of great value when your travel plans get interrupted.
The American Express® Business Gold Card might be perfect for your business.
- 7 Best Business Credit Cards for Cell Phones
- Amex Business Platinum Card Review: 100,000 Points, Flight Perks, & More
- Best Business Credit Cards for Shipping Purchases
- The Best Limited-Time Travel Credit Card Offers
- The Best Business Credit Cards for Office Supplies
For rates and fees of the American Express® Business Gold Card, please click here.
For rates and fees of the American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card, please click here.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 03/31/22.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
- 1 American Express Business Gold Review
- 2 Welcome Offer
- 3 Earning Membership Rewards
- 4 American Express Business Gold Review: Redeeming Points
- 5 American Express Business Gold Review: Additional Benefits
- 6 Annual Fee
- 7 Credit Score Needed for the American Express Business Gold
- 8 American Express Business Gold Review: Positives and Negatives
- 9 Summary of American Express Business Gold Review