This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
One of the best airport lounge networks is getting a little bigger this month. Centurion Lounges will launch in Philadelphia and Hong Kong and open to select American Express customers. If you pass through Philly or Hong Kong, you now have two options to relax before boarding your next flight.
Centurion Lounge at Hong Kong
The Hong Kong Centurion Lounge is the first international lounge of The Centurion Network. Previously, all Centurion Lounges have only been located in the United States. This lounge opens on October 2, 2017.
What to Expect from the Hong Kong Lounge
The Centurion Lounge is located in Terminal 1 at Hong Kong International (HKG). To access it, you just need to hop on the escalator immediately before Gate 61.
The lounge is open from 5:30 am to 12:30 am each day.
Once inside the lounge, you will come to expect many of the standard Centurion benefits including:
- Locally inspired cuisine
- Premium bar
- Shower Suite
- High-speed Wi-Fi
- Dedicated work area
You will be able to relax in style and enjoy scenic views from the open lighting, plenty of seating, and a semi-private work area if you need to make some headway on that project before takeoff.
Centurion Lounge at Philadelphia
The Philadelphia location will open in late October at Philadelphia International Airport (PHL) and will be the 8th Centurion Lounge located in the United States. It will be located in Terminal A West and will be 6,300 square feet. Visitors will enter on the concourse level and be taken to the second level to enjoy all of The Centurion amenities.
Some of the unique amenities for the Philadelphia Centurion lounge include:
- Israeli-inspired cuisine created by the local, four-time James Beard award winner Chef Michael Solomonov
- Floor-to-Ceiling windows offering interior and exterior views
- Complimentary full bar with custom-mixed cocktails
- Private phone areas
- Dedicated workspaces
- Private phone areas
Some of the food items you can sample include challah French toast with tehina and blackberries or Bulgarian kebabs with red pepper and white bean salad.
What is The Centurion Lounge Network?
Including the two Centurion lounges, The Centurion Network will now have nine locations worldwide. The other seven locations are sprinkled across the major airports in the continental U.S. While The Centurion Network is relatively small, they are a favorite go-to for lounge enthusiasts. In addition to adding locations, American Express has also recently expanded its Dallas-Ft. Worth Centurion Lounge location.
The Centurion Network is the premier airport lounge network of the American Express Global Lounge Collection. In all, the Global Lounge Collection lets Amex cardmembers access over 1,000 airport lounge locations in the world that belong to the following networks:
- Centurion Network
- International American Express
- Delta SkyClub
- Priority Pass Select
The primary Amex cardholder and two travel companions can access any Centurion Lounge for free. Each additional visitor costs $50 per person per visit.
If you get to the airport early or have a long layover, you can visit your airport’s Centurion Lounge and have full access to all of the lounge amenities.
How to Access the Centurion Network
How do you get in on the action to enjoy the posh Centurion Network?
You need to be a Platinum Card® from American Express cardholder. It doesn’t matter if you own the personal, business, or corporate Amex Platinum, they will all give you access to the Global Lounge Collection which includes all of the Centurion Lounges.
There are no limits to how many times you can visit a lounge each year. The only condition is that lounge admission is only granted for same-day travel. Since you’re already traveling, this shouldn’t be an issue unless you are trying to visit a Delta SkyClub location and are not flying Delta. It doesn’t matter which carrier you are flying, an active flight itinerary gives you access to any of The Centurion, International American Express, or Priority Pass Select locations.
Additional Amex Platinum Benefits
In addition to getting complimentary lounge access to more than 1,000 locations for you and two other companions, you can also enjoy the following benefits with The Platinum Card® from American Express:
- Annual $200 air travel credit
- $200 in annual Uber credits
- Global Entry and TSA Precheck Application Fee Reimbursement
- $550 credit for Fine Hotels and Resorts stays
- $75 hotel credit for 2+ nights stays at The Hotel Collection
- Elevated Hilton Honors and SPG membership status
- Free Boingo wi-fi hotspot access
Do you see a trend with all the card benefits?
There are a plethora of air travel perks in addition to the free lounge access. While the annual fee of $550 might seem a little expensive at first, you will easily for it with the air travel credit that covers your baggage fees and in-flight purchases. Plus, having a free membership to the lounges is also beneficial as an annual membership to only one lounge network can easily cost $400.
Earn 5x Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel. Starting January 1, 2021, earn 5x points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year. Cardholders also earn 5x points on prepaid hotel bookings through amextravel.com.
In fact, it earns twice as many as most co-branded airline rewards cards that only earn two points per $1 spent on airfare. With each purchase, you will earn American Express Membership Rewards points that can be redeemed for award travel through AmexTravel.com or transferred to many airline travel partners including Delta, Emirates, Etihad, Hawaiian, Air France, JetBlue, or Air Canada with a 1:1 transfer ratio.
Additionally, cardholders can get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on their Platinum Card®. That’s up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. However, they must be enrolled for this benefit to apply.
The Platinum Card from American Express is more than just a free ticket into a Centurion Lounge, it’s arguably the best rewards card when it comes to earning and redeeming miles for air travel. If you can qualify for the American Express Platinum, it can be well worth the application for all the extra travel benefits you receive in addition to the robust purchase rewards.
This card’s annual fee is $550 (See Rates & Fees).
Summary on the Amex Centurion Lounges
The opening of two Centurion lounges in the same month is exciting news for frequent flyers and Centurion Lounge aficionados. There are now two more excellent lounges, including the first one in Asia. Now, the next step is to visit them the next time you pass through Philadelphia or Hong Kong.
For rates and fees of The Platinum Card® from American Express, please click here.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.