This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
American Express has been in the travel business since 1915 and still offers a wide variety of travel-related services for its cardmembers. The easiest way to access these services is through Amex Travel, americanexpress.com/travel. Here are some tips on how to take advantage of the best offers on American Express travel.
Use this table to jump to specific sections in this guide:
- Using an American Express Platinum Card for 5X on Flights and Hotels
- Earning 2X Membership Rewards Points with Any Other Membership Rewards Card
- Redeeming Membership Rewards Points for Travel Purchases
- Getting a 35% Points Rebate with the Business Platinum Card
- Saving Points with Insider Fares on Delta Flights
- Securing Extra Hotel Benefits with Fine Hotels & Resorts: The Hotel Collection
Use an American Express Platinum Card for 5X on Flights and Hotels
If you have The Business Platinum Card® from American Express you’ll earn 5 Membership Rewards points per dollar spent on flights and prepaid hotels booked through the Amex Travel website.
The Platinum Card® from American Express can boost your domestic and international flights. Earn 5x Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel. Starting January 1, 2021, earn 5x points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year. Cardholders also earn 5x points on prepaid hotel bookings through amextravel.com.
This can be a great deal, though you should be aware of a couple of caveats: unlike the Chase Sapphire Reserve and Citi Prestige, Amex’ Platinum cards don’t offer any insurance for trip delays or cancellations. And for hotels, booking through Amex Travel usually means you won’t receive elite benefits with the hotel’s loyalty program. So you have to choose what’s more important to you!
Earn 2X Membership Rewards Points with Any Other Membership Rewards Card
If you don’t have an Amex Platinum card, don’t worry – if you use any other Amex Membership Rewards credit card to book travel through the Amex Travel website (like the American Express Everyday or Everyday Preferred credit cards), you’ll still earn 2 Membership Rewards points per dollar spent on flights, prepaid hotels, flight+hotel packages, and cruises through the Amex Travel website.
Redeem Membership Rewards Points for Travel Purchases
Amex Travel is the only place you can redeem your Membership Rewards points directly for travel. Unfortunately, it’s usually not the best use of Membership Rewards points – each point is worth 1 cent, the same rate you’d get if you just cashed out your points for statement credits, and less than you’d get if you used the American Express Platinum Card for Schwab to cash out Membership Rewards points into a Schwab brokerage account.
Get a 35% Points Rebate with the Business Platinum Card
If you have a Business Platinum card, you’ll get a 35% rebate on the points you redeem for economy flights on your selected airline (the same airline you choose for the $200 annual travel credit), or First/Business class flights on any airline. This is up to 500,000 bonus points per year. While this is less value than you get using Ultimate Rewards points for travel with the Chase Sapphire Reserve, it’s about on par with using Citi ThankYou Points with the Citi Prestige, and can be a good alternative to transferring points to a partner airline depending on your travel needs.
If your selected airline is Spirit or Southwest, you’ll need to book over the phone, since those airlines’ flights don’t appear on the Amex Travel website. According to the terms, the points rebate should appear within 6-10 weeks, but in practice it usually comes faster.
Save Points with Insider Fares on Delta Flights
If you book certain Delta flights through Amex Travel and use your Membership Rewards points to pay for the entire fare, you’ll get a slightly better redemption rate for your points – about 1.05 cents per point, rather than the usual 1 cent per point. It’s nothing to write home about, but it might be enough to tip the scales if you’re having trouble deciding which flight you want (This stacks with the 35% rebate if you have a Business Platinum card.)
Secure Extra Hotel Benefits with Fine Hotels & Resorts and The Hotel Collection
Amex offers two hotel benefit programs for certain: Fine Hotels & Resorts (FHR) for Platinum and Centurion cardmembers, and The Hotel Collection for Gold, Platinum, and Centurion cardmembers.
Prices for hotels booked through this program are often a bit higher than booking directly with the hotel, but the value of the additional benefits may outweigh the added cost – just be sure to comparison shop before making your purchase.
Unlike most hotel bookings through Amex Travel, Fine Hotels and Resorts bookings are usually eligible rates for hotel loyalty programs – so you should earn elite qualifying nights and stays, and enjoy any additional benefits you’re entitled to if you have elite status.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
- 1 Contents
- 2 Use an American Express Platinum Card for 5X on Flights and Hotels
- 3 Earn 2X Membership Rewards Points with Any Other Membership Rewards Card
- 4 Redeem Membership Rewards Points for Travel Purchases
- 5 Get a 35% Points Rebate with the Business Platinum Card
- 6 Save Points with Insider Fares on Delta Flights
- 7 Secure Extra Hotel Benefits with Fine Hotels & Resorts and The Hotel Collection