Even if you have a ton of air miles and a rewards card with excellent credit, you can always learn more about becoming a better world traveler. There are plenty of sites and travel tools out there telling you what to do in a new destination. But what about what not to do?
Dondoo is a first-of-its-kind search engine for people looking to avoid travel faux pas. It’s jammed full of faux pas that could cause you embarrassment or worse in environments that aren’t familiar to you, organized by region, country, state/etc., city, and even airport. And to find your destination of interest/concern, you can either search for it and scroll the interactive map.
It’s a great idea if you ask me, and better yet it’s well-executed. Dondoo lays out its travel faux pas cleanly and simply, like below (under Northern Ireland). Best of all, it’s free to use.
Once you’ve found your destination, you can simply scroll through all the listed faux pas with your mouse or keyboard. But if you think a certain faux pa is useful or not useful/inaccurate, you can click the corresponding icons. This way, Dondoo can log your input for future users. In addition, if you have your own faux pa—perhaps that you learned about the hard way—you can submit it for inclusion on Dondoo. You’ll just have to add context in the form here.
“We want to equip all the travelers out there, embarking on their journeys to discover new places and destinations,” says Marko Fojtlin, the founder of Dondoo, “to continue interacting with other people without fear of unintentionally performing cultural faux-pas.”
Follow Dondoo on Instagram and avoid more travel faux pas
View this post on Instagram
🇨🇭 It’s a dialect even Germans don’t understand. • • Travel smarter 🥂👉 @travel.taboos . Impress with Cultural Insights. ________ #localtaboos #dontoftheday #love #instatravel #traveltaboos #instadaily #travel #instapic #behaviour #fauxpas #society #travelgram #business #holiday #instagood #wanderlust #instatravel #holiday #trip #awesome #backpacker #traveladdict #switzerland #swissalps #schweiz #suisse #zurich #swiss #myswitzerland
Have your own tip? Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 1,559!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Enter your email address and check “Daily Travel Tip” to receive Johnny’s best tips in your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check “Daily Travel Tip” on the same page. You’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.