This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
The best balance transfer credit cards are one of the best ways to pay off credit card debt with 0% interest. Being able to make interest-free payments for over a year can save you a small fortune in the process. The best credit cards for balance transfers 2019 offers have 0% APR promotional rates up to 21 months.
The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers may have expired.
Best Balance Transfers Credit Cards
Besides looking at how long the interest-free promotion period is, also compare the one-time transfer fee. This fee can be as high as 3% on the amount you transfer. Choosing a card with a lower fee lets you save some additional cash.
Also, keep in mind that you will need to transfer your existing card balance to a card issued by another bank. For instance, you will need to transfer your balance from Chase (like the ones listed in this best Chase credit card list) to a non-Chase bank like Capital One or Citi.
Citi Simplicity Card (Expired)
The Citi Simplicity® Card has one of the longest balance transfer offers. You get 0% APR for 21 months from the date of the first transfer. All transfers must complete in the first 4 months. After that, the variable APR will be 16.24% – 26.24%, based on your creditworthiness.
Although there isn’t an annual fee, the balance transfer fee is relatively high. You will either pay $5 or 5% of the balance transfer, whichever is higher.
Another benefit of this card is that you can choose your payment due date.
Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card
The Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card earns 1.5% cash rewards on all purchases. There is no limit to how much you can earn. You won’t pay an annual fee or foreign transaction fee. By spending $500 in the first 3 months of account opening, you also get a one-time $200 cash bonus.
Citi Double Cash Card
The Citi® Double Cash Card earns 2% cash back on every new purchase (1% at the time of purchase and 1% when you pay your statement balance). To earn the cash back, note that you must pay at least the minimum that is due on time.
There isn’t a signup bonus and you also won’t pay an annual fee. You will need to have an excellent credit score for the Citi Double Cash.
American Express EveryDay Credit Card (Expired)
The information for the American Express EveryDay Credit Card has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
You might not associate American Express with balance transfer credit cards. However, the Amex EveryDay® Credit Card waives the balance transfer fee and has 0% APR for the first 15 months. The only condition is that you must request to transfer your balance in the first 60 days.
The EveryDay Card is one of the best credit cards for balance transfers 2019 because it is still useful after the 0% promotion. You earn American Express Membership Rewards points on every purchase that are most valuable when redeeming for award travel.
Plus, you can transfer American Express points them on a 1:1 basis to airlines like Delta, Emirates, and Qantas to book award flights directly through the airline to book some of the best travel deals.
You earn 2x points at U.S. supermarkets (on the first $6,000 per year, then 1%) and 1x points on everything else. By making at least 20 card purchases each billing cycle, you get a 20% bonus on your monthly earnings.
Once your credit score crosses the 740 mark, you might consider applying for the American Express Gold Card or Platinum Card from American Express to enjoy some of the best travel rewards. Both of these cards also earn Membership Rewards points you can redeem for travel.
American Express Blue Cash Everyday Card (Expired)
The information for the Blue Cash Everyday Card has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
The Blue Cash Everyday® Card offers 0% APR on transfers and purchases for the first 15 months. Transfers must be requested in the first 15 months to qualify for this 0% rate. The balance transfer fee is a competitive 3% or $5 of the balance.
You earn 3% back on the first $6,000 at U.S. supermarkets annually (then 1%) and unlimited 2% back at U.S. gas stations and select U.S. department stores. Every non-bonus purchase earns 1% back.
This is also one of the best credit cards for grocery purchases.
Credit Score Needed for Best Credit Cards for Balance Transfers
For all of these cards, you will have the best approval odds with a 670 credit score. This is the start of having good credit. A higher credit score can also mean getting a higher card limit so you can transfer a larger amount.
Check out the best credit cards for excellent credit to get an idea of rewards credit cards you might want to consider for the future.
If you’re on the brink of missing a monthly payment, consider one of these cards now if your score is in the mid to upper 600s. It’s still possible to qualify with a lower score, although your credit limit may not be as high.
Summary of the Best Credit Cards for Balance Transfers
Now is one of the best times to get a balance transfer credit card. If you can, try applying for card that also waives the balance transfer fee. Otherwise, look for the card that offers the longest introductory period so you have more time to pay off your balance in full.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
- 1 Best Balance Transfers Credit Cards
- 2 Citi Simplicity Card (Expired)
- 3 Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card
- 4 Citi Double Cash Card
- 5 American Express EveryDay Credit Card (Expired)
- 6 American Express Blue Cash Everyday Card (Expired)
- 7 Credit Score Needed for Best Credit Cards for Balance Transfers
- 8 Summary of the Best Credit Cards for Balance Transfers