This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
The best Chase checking accounts can simplify your personal and business banking. It’s also possible to earn one-time cash bonuses when you open a new account, up to several hundred dollars worth. If you also happen to own one of the best Chase credit cards, you might be able to enjoy other loyalty bonuses.
Best Chase Checking Accounts 2021
There are different personal checking options from Chase Bank. Complimentary benefits that each account offers include:
- Free local branch access (4,900 nationwide locations)
- Chase online banking and online bill pay
- Chase mobile banking
- Fee-free withdrawals at 16,000 ATMs
- Instant money transfers to non-Chase bank accounts using Chase QuickPay (Zelle®)
To open a checking account, you will need to apply in person. It’s also possible to open an account online, but only if Chase offers local banking services to your zip code. If you want to earn the bonus, you’ll usually have to use a special link to open the account online or you’ll need to print out the special page and take it to a local Chase branch.
Best Chase Checking Account Bonuses
Some of the best Chase checking account bonuses (usually after completing the qualifying activities required) are:
- Chase Total Checking®
- Chase Sapphire℠ Checking
- Plus the Chase Business Complete Banking℠
Chase Total Checking
Another option is the Chase Total Checking® account. Some of the benefits of a Chase Total Checking account include:
- Access to 16,000 Chase ATMs and more than 4,700 branches
- Access to the Chase Mobile® app
The Chase Mobile app allows users to manage their accounts, deposit checks, transfer money, and more at their convenience from their device.
There is no minimum balance needed to open the account. However, there is a $12 monthly service fee. But, it can be $0 with one of the following, each monthly statement period:
- Electronic deposits in this account totaling $500 or more OR
- A balance at the beginning of each day of $1,500 or more in this account OR
- An average beginning day balance of $5,000 or more in any combination of this account and linked qualifying Chase checking, savings, and other balances
New Chase Total Checking® customers can enjoy a $225 bonus when they open a new Chase Total Checking® account and setting up a direct deposit. This offer expires on 01/19/2022.
This account is available online nationwide except in Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico. For branch locations, visit locator.chase.com.
Chase Sapphire Checking
The information for Chase Sapphire℠ Checking has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
The most loyal Chase customers get the best checking account with Chase Sapphire℠ Checking.
Exclusive benefits of the Chase Sapphire Checking include:
- Fee-free ATMs worldwide
- Higher ATM and purchases limits with Sapphire Banking Debit Card
- Four free overdrafts every 12 months
- No foreign exchange rate adjustment on debit card transactions or withdrawals
- Free investing with You Invest℠ by J.P. Morgan INVESTMENT PRODUCTS: NOT A DEPOSIT • NOT FDIC INSURED • NO BANK GUARANTEE • MAY LOSE VALUE
You don’t need to own a Chase Sapphire Reserve® or Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card to open a Sapphire Checking account. However, you will need to maintain a $75,000 average daily account balance between your Chase banking accounts to waive the $25 monthly account fee.
Chase Secure Banking
If you’re looking for a banking option, the Chase Secure Banking℠ option may be right for you. Benefits include:
- Access to the Chase Mobile® app and Chase Online℠
- Account alerts to monitor balances and more
- Zero Liability Protection that eases worries about unauthorized card transactions (when reported promptly)
- The ability to use the Chase debit card to help you budget and spend only the money you have available, without worrying about overdraft fees
- No paper checks to track
There is no minimum deposit required to open an account. There are also no fees for using Chase Online Bill Pay, money orders, cashier’s checks, or sending money.
The is a $4.95 monthly service fee though.
New Chase checking customers can enjoy $100 when opening a Chase Secure Banking℠ account with qualifying activities. Offer expires 01/19/2022.
Chase Premier Plus Checking
The information for Chase Premier Plus Checking℠ has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
The Chase Premier Plus Checking℠ is a mid-tier checking account. It’s a good option if you use paper checks or make periodic non-Chase ATMs and currently pay a surcharge.
Premier Plus benefits include:
- Up to 4 non-Chase ATM monthly reimbursements
- Fees waived for money orders, cashier’s checks, and counter checks
- The monthly service fee is waived for linked Chase savings accounts
- Free Chase design paper checks
The monthly fee is $25 per month. It’s waivable when you maintain an average daily balance of at least $15,000 between your various Chase banking accounts. Linking your Chase first mortgage with automatic payments from this Premier Plus account also waives the monthly fee.
Chase College Checking
The information for Chase College Checking℠ has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Chase College Checking℠ is Chase’s only college student checking account. This account is open to college students between ages 17 and 24 at the account opening.
It’s possible not to pay a monthly account fee for up to 5 years. You will either need to enroll in direct deposit or maintain an average ending daily balance of $5,000 or higher. This no-frills checking account offers free Chase local branch and ATM access. You can also use Zelle® to send money to non-Chase bank accounts for free.
New Chase customers can get $100 when you open a Chase College Checking account and complete qualifying activities. Qualifying activities are opening a new Chase College Checking account and completing 10 qualifying transactions within 60 days of account opening. The offer expires on 10/18/2021.
Learn more: Best credit cards for college students
Chase First Banking
A Chase First Banking℠ account can be used by parents to help teach their teens and kids money management. It’s a debit card for kids ages 6-17 with a $0 monthly service fee. This easy-to-use bank account can also help kids aged 6-17 learn to spend, save and earn with the Chase Mobile® app.
Parents can set limits on where and how money is spent as well as how much can be withdrawn at ATMs. Additionally, alerts can be set up to keep track of expenses. Parents can also pay allowances through the Chase Mobile app.
There is a $0 minimum balance to open the account and a $0 monthly service fee. However, you must be an existing Chase checking customer to open a Chase First Banking℠ account.
Bonus: J.P. Morgan Self-Directed Investing
INVESTMENT AND INSURANCE PRODUCTS ARE: NOT A DEPOSIT • NOT FDIC INSURED • NO BANK GUARANTEE • MAY LOSE VALUE
For those who are interested in investing, J.P. Morgan Self-Directed Investing requires $0 to open and has a $0 monthly service fee. This investment platform allows members to get unlimited commission-free online stock, ETF, fixed income, and options trades when they open an account.
Additionally, they can buy, trade, and sell stocks online or through the Chase Mobile® app, making this a convenient process. The service is designed to be easy to use while still providing security, regardless of whether you choose to use the service online or through the Chase Mobile app. The goal is to help provide tools and resources to give members control of their investments.
Plus, you can choose the account that works best for you, whether that’s General Investing, Traditional IRA, or Roth IRA. There are $0 Online Commission trades available.
Chase allows you to make your portfolio your own with a range of stocks, Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs), options, fixed income, and mutual funds.
This is a great service for beginners to investing who may already have a relationship with Chase.
Best Chase Business Checking Accounts
There are also three Chase business checking options. For example, you may choose to open one of these accounts if you’re a freelancer or a new LLC (side note, check out some of the best credit cards for LLC). One of these business accounts can also be a good option if you have a Chase small business credit card.
If you’re a newcomer to business checking accounts, you will notice that you’re more likely to pay fees for various transactions. The best account may depend on how many customer transactions you have.
Learn more: Best Chase business credit cards
Chase Business Complete Banking
The Chase Business Complete Banking℠ account is an entry-level business account providing the following complimentary benefits:
- Unlimited electronic deposits, ACH, and Chase QuickDeposit℠
- Access to 16,000 ATMs and more than 4,700 Chase branches
- Business specialists available to help with your business needs
- Account Alerts
- 24/7 customer service access
Additionally, account holders have access to built-in card acceptance which means card payments can be accepted anytime, anywhere in the U.S., and get transparent pricing with Chase QuickAccept. QuickAccept allows for convenient access to payment processing as card payments are accepted virtually anytime, anywhere in the U.S. It also allows for same-day deposits at no additional cost.
Service members have access to Chase Military Banking. Additionally, Chase’s business debit, deposit, and ATM cards offer members control while providing options for signers and employees access to ATMs or to make purchases. Plus, members have access to Chase mobile and online banking.
There are also multiple ways to waive the $15 monthly service fee, including maintaining a minimum daily balance or purchase on your Chase Ink business card, some of the best Chase business credit cards available.
Earn $300 as a new Chase business checking customer, when you open a new Chase Business Complete Banking℠ account with qualifying activities.
To earn the $300 bonus, complete these qualifying activities:
- Open a Chase Business Complete Banking℠ account online or in branch
- Deposit at least $2,000 in new money within 30 days of account opening
- Maintain a minimum $2,000 balance for 60 days
- Complete 5 qualifying transactions within 90 days of opening an account
This offer expires on 01/20/2022.
Chase Performance Business Checking
The information for Chase Performance Business Checking® has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
The mid-tier Chase Performance Business Checking® perks include:
- 250 free monthly transactions
- Unlimited free electronic deposits
- $20,000 monthly cash deposit
- Free incoming wires and two outgoing wires per month
- The monthly service fee is waived on a linked personal Chase Premier Plus checking account
- No additional charge for Positive Pay and Reverse Positive Pay Protection
The $30 monthly service fee is waived by maintaining a combined $35,000 minimum daily balance in qualifying business accounts.
Chase Platinum Business Checking
The information for Chase Platinum Business Checking℠ has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Chase Platinum Business Checking℠ is the most deluxe Chase business checking account option.
- 500 free monthly transactions
- Unlimited electronic deposits
- $25,000 monthly cash deposits
- All incoming wires are free plus the four most expensive outgoing wires per month are free
- Free Positive Pay and Reverse Positive Pay Protection
- Reduced balance requirements for Chase Private Clients
- Monthly fee waived for a linked Chase Business Premier Savings account
The ongoing monthly fee is $95. However, you can waive it with a $100,000 average daily balance in your qualifying business deposit and business investment accounts.
In conclusion, these Chase accounts can be a good option if you can waive the monthly account fees. Chase’s personal and business checking accounts are some of the best for brick-and-mortar banks. Owning a Chase bank account can also be a good complement to your existing Chase credit cards.
Is Chase a good bank for checking accounts?
Yes, especially if you have one of their many credit cards, and if you live near a branch. Also, you can earn a big bonus when opening a Chase checking account.
How do I avoid fees on my Chase checking account?
The best way to avoid fees on any checking account is to maintain the minimum daily balance requirements for that specific checking account. Or, you can maintain a combined daily balance between your linked Chase accounts. Some accounts may also waive the fee with qualifying direct deposits.
As each account has different fee waiver options, read your account’s specific terms and conditions.
Can I have two Chase checking accounts?
Yes, you can have multiple checking accounts. These accounts can either be all personal, all business, or a combination of personal and business checking accounts. The accounts can either be joint or individual accounts.
If you choose a mid-tier or upper-tier account (like the Premier Plus or Sapphire Banking personal checking accounts), your first multiple accounts may also be free.
Does Chase charge for a checking account?
All personal and business Chase checking accounts have a monthly fee. However, it’s possible to waive the annual fee by meeting certain minimum balance or direct deposit requirements. Chase may also waive the monthly fee on your linked savings accounts if you have a checking account.
Below are the current monthly service fees for the Chase personal checking accounts:
- Chase Total Checking®: $12
- Chase Premier Plus Checking℠: $25
- And Chase Sapphire℠ Checking: $25
It’s possible to waive these monthly fees.
The Chase business checking accounts have the following fees:
- Chase Business Complete Banking℠: $15
- Chase Performance Business Checking®: $30
- And Chase Platinum Business Checking℠: $95
Like the personal checking accounts, it’s possible to waive the monthly fees for the business checking options.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
- 1 Best Chase Checking Accounts 2021
- 2 Best Chase Checking Account Bonuses
- 3 Chase Total Checking
- 4 Chase Sapphire Checking
- 5 Chase Secure Banking
- 6 Chase Premier Plus Checking
- 7 Chase College Checking
- 8 Chase First Banking
- 9 Bonus: J.P. Morgan Self-Directed Investing
- 10 Best Chase Business Checking Accounts
- 11 Chase Business Complete Banking
- 12 Chase Performance Business Checking
- 13 Chase Platinum Business Checking
- 14 Summary
- 15 FAQs