This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
As one of the largest American banks, Chase Bank likely has a local branch near you. If so, you can qualify to open a checking account. The best Chase checking accounts can simplify your personal and business banking. It’s also possible to earn one-time cash bonuses when you open a new account. If you also happen to own one of the best Chase credit cards, you might be able to enjoy other loyalty bonuses.
Best Chase Checking Accounts 2020
There are currently three different personal checking options from Chase Bank. Each account offers various perks (i.e., good, better, and best) with the best account being for the most loyal Chase customers.
Complimentary benefits that each account offers include:
- Free local branch access (4,900 nationwide locations)
- Chase online banking and online bill pay
- Chase mobile banking
- Fee-free withdrawals at 16,000 ATMs
- Instant money transfers to non-Chase bank accounts using Chase QuickPay (Zelle)
To open a checking account, you will need to apply in-person. It’s also possible to open an account online, but only if Chase offers local banking services to your zip code.
Best Chase Checking Account Bonuses
The best Chase checking account bonuses (usually after completing the qualifying activities required) are:
- Chase Sapphire℠ Checking
- You Invest℠ by J.P. Morgan – Up to $725 when you open and fund a new You Invest Trade account with $25,000 or more in new money and maintain it for 90 days. INVESTMENT PRODUCTS: NOT A DEPOSIT • NOT FDIC INSURED • NO BANK GUARANTEE • MAY LOSE VALUE
- Chase Business Complete Banking℠
The information for You Invest℠ by J.P. Morgan has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Chase Sapphire Checking
The information for Chase Sapphire Checking has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
The most loyal Chase customers get the best checking account with Chase Sapphire℠ Checking.
Exclusive benefits of the Chase Sapphire Checking include:
- Fee-free ATMs worldwide
- Higher ATM and purchases limits with Sapphire Banking Debit Card
- Four free overdrafts every 12 months
- No foreign exchange rate adjustment on debit card transactions or withdrawals
- Free investing with You Invest℠ by J.P. Morgan
You don’t need to own a Chase Sapphire Reserve or Chase Sapphire Preferred to open a Sapphire Checking account. However, you will need to maintain a $75,000 average daily account balance between your Chase banking accounts to waive the $25 monthly account fee.
Best Chase Business Checking Accounts
There are also three Chase business checking options. For example, you may choose to open one of these accounts if you’re a freelancer or new LLC (side note, check out some of the best credit cards for LLC). One of these business accounts can also be a good option if you have a Chase small business credit card.
If you’re a newcomer to business checking accounts, you will notice that you’re more likely to pay fees for various transactions. The best account may depend on how many customer transactions you have.
Learn more: Best Chase business credit cards
Chase Business Complete Banking
The Chase Business Complete Banking℠ account is an entry-level business account providing the following complimentary benefits:
- Unlimited electronic deposits, ACH, and Chase Quick Deposit
- Access to 16,000 ATMs and more than 4,700 Chase branches
- Business specialists available to help with your business needs
- Account Alerts
- 24/7 customer service access
QuickAccept allows for convenient access to payment processing as card payments are accepted virtually anytime, anywhere in the U.S. It also allows for same-day deposits at no additional cost.
Service members have access to Chase Military Banking. Additionally, Chase business debit, deposit, and ATM cards offer members control while providing options for signers and employees access to ATMs or to make purchases. Plus, members have access to Chase mobile and online banking.
There are also multiple ways to waive the $15 monthly service fee, including maintaining a minimum daily balance or purchase on your Chase Ink business card, some of the best Chase business credit cards available.
Earn $300 as a new Chase business checking customer, when you open a new Chase Business Complete Banking℠ account with qualifying activities. This offer expires on 04/15/2021.
Chase Total Checking
The information for Chase Total Checking® has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Chase Total Checking® is the entry-level product. It’s probably the best overall checking account for personal banking because it’s easy to waive the monthly fee.
You will need to pay non-Chase ATM fees, money orders, and anything other than essential Chase banking services. If you need local bank access for deposits and withdrawals, this is a good option. Both the online and mobile Chase Bank platforms are free to use.
You can waive the $12 monthly account fee by meeting one of these conditions:
- Direct deposits of at least $500 per month
- Minimum $1,500 balance at the beginning of the day
- Average $5,000 or more daily balance in any combination of this account and linked qualifying Chase checking, savings, and other balances
Having a Chase Total Checking® account doesn’t automatically waive the monthly fee for your linked Chase Savings℠ account.
Up to $200 Cash Bonus
New Chase bank customers can earn up to $200 bonus cash for a limited-time.
Here’s how to earn the full bonus:
- Open an account by 01/20/2021
- Set up direct deposit
- Receive the money within ten business days
By meeting the bonus offer conditions, you earn $200 bonus cash. However, this must be done by 01/20/2021.
Protip: Heads up! Unlike credit card rewards, these banking signup bonuses are usually considered taxable income.
Chase Premier Plus Checking
The information for Chase Premier Plus Checking℠ has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
The Chase Premier Plus Checking℠ is the mid-tier checking account. It’s a good option if you use paper checks or make periodic non-Chase ATMs and currently pay a surcharge.
Premier Plus benefits include:
- Up to 4 non-Chase ATM monthly reimbursements
- Fees waived for money orders, cashier’s checks, and counter checks
- Monthly service fee is waived for linked Chase savings accounts
- Free Chase design paper checks
The monthly fee is $25 per month. It’s waivable when you maintain an average daily balance of at least $15,000 between your various Chase banking accounts. Linking your Chase first mortgage with automatic payments from this Premier Plus account also waives the monthly fee.
Additionally, you could get a $300 bonus. To do so, you’ll need to:
- Open a Chase Premier Plus Checking℠ account before 10/14/2020 (subject to approval)
- Make a direct deposit in your account within the first 90 days
- Receive $300 within ten business days of making your direct deposit
Remember, this must be done before 10/14/2020.
Chase College Checking
The information for Chase College Checking℠ has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Chase College Checking℠ is Chase’s only college student checking account. This account is open to college students between ages 17 and 24 at the account opening.
It’s possible not to pay a monthly account fee for up to 5 years. You will either need to enroll in direct deposit or maintain an average ending daily balance of $5,000 or higher. This no-frills checking account offers free Chase local branch and ATM access. You can also use Zelle to send money to non-Chase bank accounts for free using Zelle.
New Chase customers can get $100 when you open a Chase College Checking account and complete qualifying activities. Qualifying activities are opening a new Chase College Checking account and completing 10 qualifying transactions within 60 days of account opening. The offer expires on 01/14/2021.
Learn more: Best credit cards for college students
Chase Performance Business Checking
The information for Chase Performance Business Checking® has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
The mid-tier Chase Performance Business Checking® perks include:
- 250 free monthly transactions
- Unlimited free electronic deposits
- $20,000 monthly cash deposit
- Free incoming wires and two outgoing wires per month
- Monthly service fee is waived on a linked personal Chase Premier Plus checking account
- No additional charge for Positive Pay and Reverse Positive Pay Protection
The $30 monthly service fee is waived by maintaining at a combined $35,000 minimum daily balance in qualifying business accounts.
Chase Platinum Business Checking
The information for Chase Platinum Business Checking℠ has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Chase Platinum Business Checking℠ is the most deluxe Chase business checking account option.
- 500 free monthly transactions
- Unlimited electronic deposits
- $25,000 monthly cash deposits
- All incoming wires are free plus four most expensive outgoing wires per month are free
- Free Positive Pay and Reverse Positive Pay Protection
- Reduced balance requirements for Chase Private Clients
- Monthly fee waived for a linked Chase Business Premier Savings account
The ongoing monthly fee is $95. However, you can waive it with a $100,000 average daily balance in your qualifying business deposit and business investment accounts.
Summary of Best Chase Checking Accounts 2020
If you live near a Chase branch, these checking accounts can be a good option if you can waive the monthly account fees. Chase’s personal and business checking accounts are some of the best for the brick-and-mortar banks. Owning a Chase bank account can also be a good complement to your existing Chase credit cards.
Is Chase a good bank for checking accounts?
Yes, especially if you have one of their many credit cards, and if you live near a branch. Also, you can earn a big bonus when opening a Chase checking account.
How do I avoid fees on my Chase checking account?
The best way to avoid fees on any checking account is to maintain the minimum daily balance requirements for that specific checking account. Or, you can maintain a combined daily balance between your linked Chase accounts. Some accounts may also waive the fee with qualifying direct deposits.
The entry-level personal Chase Total Checking® account can be the easiest to avoid fees on. For example, you can have either $500+ in monthly direct deposits or have a $1,500+ starting daily account balance. A third way of waiving the fee is maintaining an average daily balance of at least $5,000 in qualifying Chase accounts.
As each account has different fee waiver options, read your account’s specific terms and conditions.
Can I have two Chase checking accounts?
Yes. You can have multiple checking accounts. These accounts can either be all personal, all business, or a combination of personal and business checking accounts. The accounts can either be joint or individual accounts.
If you choose a mid-tier or upper-tier account (like the Premier Plus or Sapphire Banking personal checking accounts), your first multiple accounts may also be free.
Does Chase charge for a checking account?
All personal and business Chase checking accounts have a monthly fee. But, it’s also possible to waive the annual fee by meeting certain minimum balance or direct deposit requirements. Chase may also waive the monthly fee on your linked savings accounts if you have a checking account.
Below are the current monthly service fees for the Chase personal checking accounts:
- Total Checking: $12
- Premier Plus Checking: $25
- Sapphire Checking: $25
It’s possible to waive these monthly fees.
The Chase business checking accounts have the following fees:
- Performance Business Checking: $30
- Platinum Business Checking: $95
Like the personal checking accounts, it’s possible to waive the monthly fees for the business checking options.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
- 1 Best Chase Checking Accounts 2020
- 2 Best Chase Checking Account Bonuses
- 3 Chase Sapphire Checking
- 4 Best Chase Business Checking Accounts
- 5 Chase Business Complete Banking
- 6 Chase Total Checking
- 7 Chase Premier Plus Checking
- 8 Chase College Checking
- 9 Chase Performance Business Checking
- 10 Chase Platinum Business Checking
- 11 Summary of Best Chase Checking Accounts 2020
- 12 FAQs