This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
Being a landlord is a classic way to earn recurring income. The best credit cards for rental properties let you earn bonus points for repairs, capital improvements, and recurring expenses. From small expenses to large purchases the require discount financing, we help you pick out the best card.
Best Credit Cards for Rental Property:
- Ink Business Unlimited® Credit Card
- Capital One Spark Business Credit Card Bonus Offers
- American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card
Ink Business Unlimited Credit Card – Best Chase Business Credit Card
As your rental property expenses may ebb and flow, using one of the best business credit cards with no annual fee can be your best option. The Ink Business Unlimited® Credit Card earns 1.5% back on all purchases. If your current credit card only earns 1% on landlord expenses, you now earn 50% more points.
Your points are worth 1 cent each when redeemed for cash, travel, and gift cards. But if you also own the Chase Sapphire Preferred or Chase Ink Business Preferred, you can pool your points. Your points are worth more in your “Preferred” account. Each point is worth 1.25 cents each when booking award travel through Chase. You can also transfer them at a 1:1 ratio to airline and hotel partners like United, Southwest, and Hyatt.
The Ink Business Unlimited signup bonus is $750 bonus cash after spending $7500 in the first 3 months. It is also one of the best Chase business credit cards
American Express Blue Business Cash Card – No Annual Fee
The American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card has one of the highest cash back rates for a no annual fee credit card (See Rates & Fees). You earn 2% cash back on up to $50,000 spent per calendar year, then 1%. Amex automatically redeems your points as a monthly cash statement credit.
It also comes with Expanded Buying Power which gives cardholders the ability to spend beyond their credit limit. While the amount you are able to spend is not unlimited, it can be improved should you need it. The amount will adjust with card usage, payment history, credit record, and financial resources that American Express is able to review, and other factors.
The Blue Business Plus Credit Card from American Express
You might also consider getting The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express if you prefer travel rewards. Get 2x Membership Rewards on the first $50,000 spent on everyday business purchases per year (then 1x point per dollar thereafter). Points are worth 1 cent when redeemed for award flights on AmexTravel.com or select retail gift cards. You can also transfer them to the American Express Membership Rewards airline and hotel partners like Delta, Emirates, and British Airways.
Cardholders can also enjoy more flexibility to use their card for more purchases and rewards when buying above their credit limit. While this amount is not unlimited, it does adjust with card use, payment history, credit record, financial reasons known to AMEX, and other factors. Expanded Buying Power gives businesses more ways to earn points and maximize their card.
The Blue Business Plus also doesn’t have an annual fee (See Rates & Fees).
If you want more details, check out our review of the Amex Blue Business Credit Cards.
Capital One Spark Cash for Business – Unlimited Cash Back
The best credit card for rental property empires might be the Capital One® Spark® Cash for Business. You earn an unlimited 2% back on every purchase. Your annual fee is $0 the first year, then $95 after that. You should be a frequent spender to offset this fee. Your rewards are redeemable for cash statement credits.
If you prefer travel rewards, the Capital One Spark Miles for Business earns 2x miles on every purchase. Your miles can be redeemed for travel statement credits, booking upcoming travel, or transfer to the Capital One airline partners. You also get a fee credit of up to $100 for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck as the primary cardholder.
If you don’t want an annual fee, the Capital One Spark Cash Select for Business and the Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business earn unlimited 1.5% back (with the Cash Select) or 1.5x miles (with the Miles Select).
The information for the Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Lowe’s Business Rewards Card from American Express – Best for Home Improvement Stores
The information for Lowe’s Business Rewards Card from American Express has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
The Lowe’s Business Rewards Card from American Express is probably the best credit card for home improvement stores. You get a 5% instant rebate at Lowe’s. And you earn up to 3x points on purchases:
- 3x points at U.S. restaurants, U.S. office supply stores, and wireless telephone services purchased from U.S. service providers
- 2x points at Lowe’s
- 1x points on all non-bonus spend
Your points can be redeemed for Lowe’s gift cards and American Express gift cards.
Getting this card also enrolls you into the Lowe’s ProServices rewards program. Perks include in-store sales, delivery discounts, and special financing. You can also get a one-time $100 cash bonus upon approval.
Plum Card from American Express – Flexible Repayment Terms
The Plum Card® from American Express gives you the opportunity to get a 1.5% early pay discount, with no cap on what you can earn back when you pay your balance before the billing cycle ends. Take up to 60 days to pay with no interest, when you pay your minimum due by the payment due date.
For those expensive capital improvements and repairs, the flexible payment options can be worth it. The annual fee is $0 for the first year and then $250 each card renewal (See Rates & Fees).
Ink Business Cash – Best Tiered Rewards
Some landlords own the Chase Ink Business Cash® Credit Card to earn 5x Ultimate Rewards points on rental property expenses. It’s a no annual fee Chase business credit card that earns 5%, 2%, or 1% back on purchases. At first glance, this isn’t the best credit card for rental property.
Office supply stores and internet, phone, and cable services earn 5% back (on the first $25,000 in combined purchases). Gas stations and restaurants earn 2% back on the first $25,000 spent. All remaining purchases earn 1% back.
You can buy gift cards to home improvement stores at office supply stores to get 5% back. Then you pay for your hardware store purchases with those gift cards. For many people, this extra step isn’t worth it unless you love earning Chase Ultimate Rewards. Getting 2% back at gas stations is also nice if you own properties in nearby towns.
The Ink Business Cash also has $750 bonus cash after spending $7500 in the first 3 months. Since there is no annual fee, it makes this a good secondary credit card.
Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card – Hotel Rewards
You can also turn your rental property purchases into travel rewards. The Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card gives you one free night award each card anniversary. It’s redeemable at properties that cost 35,000 points or less. You can get a second free night after $60,000 in annual card purchases.
You also earn up to 6x Marriott Bonvoy points on purchases:
- 6x points on Marriott purchases at participating Bonvoy properties
- 4x points at U.S. restaurants, U.S. gas stations, and wireless telephone services purchased from U.S. providers as well as U.S. purchases for shipping
- 2x points on all other eligible purchases
Off-peak award nights start at 5,000 points per night. Your landlord purchases help you get free rewards nights more often.
New Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card cardholders can earn 75,000 Marriott Bonvoy points after using their new card to make $3,000 on eligible purchases within the first 3 months of card membership. Plus, they can earn up to $150 back in statement credits on eligible purchases made on their new Card within the first 3 months of card membership. Terms apply.
Other Marriott Bonvoy benefits include:
- Marriott Bonvoy Silver Elite status
- Gold Elite status after $35,000 in annual card purchases
- Premium on-property internet access
- 15 elite night credits
The annual fee is $125 but there are no foreign transaction fees (See Rates & Fees). Terms apply.
Summary of the Best Credit Cards for Rental Properties
As a landlord, several of these options may qualify to be the best credit card for rental property. A flat-rate rewards card be better for most people because tiered rewards don’t always align with your landlord purchases. Then, decide if you want to redeem your points for cash or travel rewards.
For rates and fees of the American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card, please click here.
For rates and fees of The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express, please click here.
For rates and fees of the Plum Card® from American Express, please click here.
For rates and fees of the Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card, please click here.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
- 1 Ink Business Unlimited Credit Card – Best Chase Business Credit Card
- 2 American Express Blue Business Cash Card – No Annual Fee
- 3 Capital One Spark Cash for Business – Unlimited Cash Back
- 4 Lowe’s Business Rewards Card from American Express – Best for Home Improvement Stores
- 5 Plum Card from American Express – Flexible Repayment Terms
- 6 Ink Business Cash – Best Tiered Rewards
- 7 Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card – Hotel Rewards
- 8 Summary of the Best Credit Cards for Rental Properties