This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
Being a landlord is a classic way to earn recurring income. The best credit cards for rental properties let you earn bonus points for repairs, capital improvements, and recurring expenses. Even if you aren’t a landlord, these cards can earn you major rewards on purchases. From small expenses to large purchases that require discount financing, we can help you find the best business card.
TIP: If you are looking for a credit card to use when staying at a rental property, check out the best travel credit cards or the best hotel credit cards. Both lists contain cards that can protect you when staying at a rental property.
Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Enrollment may be required for select American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
The Best Credit Cards for Rental Properties
Here is a preview of some of the best credit cards for rental properties. Note that many of the cards on this list are also some of the best small business credit cards.
- Ink Business Unlimited® Credit Card
- American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card
- The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express
- Capital One Spark Cash for Business
- Lowe’s Business Rewards Card from American Express
- Ink Business Cash® Credit Card
- Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card
Related: The Best Citi Business Credit Cards
Ink Business Unlimited Credit Card – One of the Best Chase Business Credit Cards for Rental Properties
As your rental property expenses may ebb and flow, using one of the best business credit cards with no annual fee can be your best option.
The Ink Business Unlimited® Credit Card earns 1.5% back on all purchases. If your current credit card only earns 1% on landlord expenses, you now earn 50% more points.
Your points are worth 1 cent each when redeemed for cash, travel, and gift cards. But if you also own the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card or Chase Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card, you can pool your points. Your points are worth more in your Preferred account. Each point is worth 1.25 cents each when booking award travel through Chase.
Plus, you can also transfer them at a 1:1 ratio to airline and hotel partners like United, Southwest, and Hyatt.
The Ink Business Unlimited signup bonus is $750 bonus cash after spending $7,500 in the first 3 months.
It is also one of the best Chase business credit cards
American Express Blue Business Cash Card – No Annual Fee
Cardholders earn 2% cash back on all eligible purchases, on up to $50,000 per calendar year, then 1% cash back earned is automatically credited to your statement.
It also comes with Expanded Buying Power which gives cardholders the ability to spend beyond their credit limit. Just remember, the amount you can spend above your credit limit is not unlimited. It adjusts with your use of the Card, your payment history, credit record, financial resources known to American Express, and other factors.
New American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card cardholders can earn a $250 statement credit after making $3,000 in purchases on their Card in the first 3 months.
Bonus Option: The Blue Business Plus Credit Card from American Express
You might also consider getting The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express if you prefer travel rewards. Get 2x Membership Rewards® points on the first $50,000 spent on everyday business purchases per year (then 1x point per dollar thereafter).
Points are worth 1 cent when redeemed for award flights on AmexTravel.com or select retail gift cards. You can also transfer them to the American Express Membership Rewards airline and hotel partners like Delta, Emirates, and British Airways.
This is one of the best American Express business cards.
Cardholders can also enjoy more flexibility to use their card for more purchases and rewards when buying above their credit limit. The amount you can spend above your credit limit is not unlimited. It adjusts with your use of the Card, your payment history, credit record, financial resources known to American Express, and other factors.
New The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express cardholders can earn 15,000 Membership Rewards® points after spending $3,000 in eligible purchases on the Card within their first 3 months of Card Membership.
The Blue Business Plus also doesn’t have an annual fee (See Rates & Fees).
If you want more details, check out our review of the Amex Blue Business Credit Cards.
Capital One Spark Cash for Business – Unlimited Cash Back
The information for the Capital One Spark Cash for Business has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
One of the best credit cards for rental properties might be the Capital One Spark Cash for Business. You earn an unlimited 2% back on every purchase. The annual fee is $0 the first year, then $95 after that. You should be a frequent spender to offset this fee.
Your rewards are redeemable for cash statement credits.
If you prefer travel rewards, the Capital One Spark Miles for Business earns 2x miles on every purchase. Your miles can be redeemed for travel statement credits, booking upcoming travel, or transfer to the Capital One airline partners. You also get a fee credit of up to $100 for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck as the primary cardholder.
If you don’t want an annual fee, the Capital One Spark Cash Select for Business and the Capital One Spark Miles Select for Business earn unlimited 1.5% back (with the Cash Select) or 1.5x miles (with the Miles Select).
Lowe’s Business Rewards Card from American Express – Best for Home Improvement Stores
The information for Lowe’s Business Rewards Card from American Express has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
One of the best credit cards for rental properties might also be useful for home improvement options. The Lowe’s Business Rewards Card from American Express is probably the best credit card for home improvement stores. You get a 5% instant rebate at Lowe’s. And you earn up to 2% cash back on purchases:
- 2% cash back at Lowe’s to reward yourself for shopping at Lowe’s stores or online at Lowes.com or LowesforPros.com
- 2% cash back on business categories at U.S. restaurants, U.S. office supply stores, wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers
- 1% cash back on other purchases made using your Lowe’s Business Rewards Card
Getting this card also enrolls you into the Lowe’s ProServices rewards program. Perks include in-store sales, delivery discounts, and special financing.
New cardholders can earn get $100 back upon approval (cash back is earned automatically as a statement credit). Plus, earn 5% cash back at Lowe’s on eligible purchases made on your card at Lowe’s for the first 6 months (2% back after; new accounts only).
Ink Business Cash Credit Card – Best Tiered Rewards
Some landlords own the Chase Ink Business Cash® Credit Card to earn 5% cash back on rental property expenses. It’s a no annual fee Chase business credit card that earns 5%, 2%, or 1% back on purchases. At first glance, this isn’t the best credit card for rental property.
Office supply stores and internet, phone, and cable services earn 5% back (on the first $25,000 in combined purchases). Gas stations and restaurants earn 2% back on the first $25,000 spent. All remaining purchases earn 1% back.
You can buy gift cards to home improvement stores at office supply stores to get 5% back. Then you pay for your hardware store purchases with those gift cards. For many people, this extra step isn’t worth it unless you love earning Chase Ultimate Rewards® points. Getting 2% back at gas stations is also nice if you own properties in nearby towns.
The Ink Business Cash also has a $750 bonus cash offer after spending $7,500 in the first 3 months. Since there is no annual fee, it makes this a good secondary credit card.
Related: How To Avoid Vacation Rental Scams
Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card – Hotel Rewards
You can also turn your rental property purchases into travel rewards. The Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card cardholders can receive 1 Free Night Award annually after their Card account anniversary. Plus, they can earn an additional Free Night Award after spending $60K in purchases on their Card in a calendar year.
Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy program. Certain hotels have resort fees.
You also earn up to 6x Marriott Bonvoy points on purchases:
- 6x points at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy program
- 4x points at restaurants worldwide, U.S. gas stations, and wireless telephone services purchased from U.S. providers as well as U.S. purchases for shipping
- 2x points on all other eligible purchases
Off-peak award nights start at 5,000 points per night. Your landlord purchases help you get free rewards nights more often.
Plus, receive a 7% discount off standard rates for reservations of standard guest rooms at hotels that participate in the Marriott Bonvoy program when booking directly. Terms and Conditions Apply.
For a limited time, new Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card cardholders can earn 125,000 Marriott Bonvoy Bonus Points after spending $5,000 in purchases on their new Card in their first 3 months of Card Membership. The offer expires on 08/31/22.
Other Marriott Bonvoy benefits include:
- Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status
- Premium on-property internet access
- 15 elite night credits
The annual fee is $125, but there are no foreign transaction fees (See Rates & Fees). Terms apply.
In conclusion, the best credit cards for rental properties can help you earn rewards on purchases. A flat-rate rewards card is better for most people because tiered rewards don’t always align with landlord purchases. From there, decide if you want to redeem points for cash or travel rewards.
- Best Credit Cards For Groceries? Up to 6% Cash Back
- The Best Limited-Time Credit Card Offers
- How Hard Is It To Get A Business Credit Card?
For rates and fees of the American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card, please click here.
For rates and fees of The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express, please click here.
And For rates and fees of the Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card, please click here.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
- 1 The Best Credit Cards for Rental Properties
- 2 Ink Business Unlimited Credit Card – One of the Best Chase Business Credit Cards for Rental Properties
- 3 American Express Blue Business Cash Card – No Annual Fee
- 4 Capital One Spark Cash for Business – Unlimited Cash Back
- 5 Lowe’s Business Rewards Card from American Express – Best for Home Improvement Stores
- 6 Ink Business Cash Credit Card – Best Tiered Rewards
- 7 Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card – Hotel Rewards
- 8 Summary