This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
Are you like most people and have been rearranging your eating habits? Some rewards credit cards cater to eating at home. Whether you prepare meals from scratch or rely on food delivery, there are plenty of ways to earn bonus points without going to restaurants or leaving the house. What are the best credit cards to use for food deliveries to your home?
The Best Credit Cards For Eating At Home & Food Deliveries
It’s possible to earn cash rewards and travel rewards buying groceries, using meal kits, or ordering take-out. You can even get a discount on certain orders with some cards.
Even if you don’t like cooking from scratch, you can buy meal kits at many supermarkets. Using a grocery rewards credit card lets you earn bonus points on these purchases. Here are some of the best credit cards to use when eating at home.
Chase Sapphire Preferred – 2x on Food Deliveries
The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card is one of the best travel credit cards. It can also be one of your best cards for restaurant deliveries. All travel and dining purchases earn 2x Ultimate Rewards points per $1. Lyft rides earn 5x points per $1.
You get one year of free DoorDash DashPass when you opt-in before December 31, 2021. DashPass waives the delivery fee on all orders of at least $12. If your favorite restaurants partner with DoorDash, this can be an easy way to save time and money.
Your points are worth 1.25 cents each when booking award travel on the Chase travel portal. You can also transfer them at a 1:1 ratio to partners including United Airlines, Southwest Airlines, and World of Hyatt.
The signup bonus is 80,000 bonus points (worth $1,000 in award travel) by spending $4,000 in the first 3 months. The annual fee is $95.
Related: Chase Sapphire Preferred Review
Chase Sapphire Reserve
Do you want a premium travel credit card? The Chase Sapphire Reserve® also offers one year of free DoorDash DashPass. Plus, cardholders receive a statement credit for the first $60 in DoorDash purchase in 2020 and another $60 credit in 2021.
This card also boasts these premium travel benefits:
- Earn 3x Ultimate Rewards on dining
- Earn 10x points on Lyft rides
- Priority Pass Select lounge membership
- Global Entry or TSA PreCheck application fee credit
- Points are worth 50% when booking travel
- 1:1 point transfers to airlines and hotels
- $300 travel credit
Cardholders also earn 3x points per $1 spent on travel after they earn their $300 travel credit. The signup bonus is worth $750 in award travel. You get 50,000 bonus points by spending $4,000 in the first 3 months. The annual fee is $550 plus $75 per authorized user.
Related: Chase Sapphire Reserve Review
Blue Cash Preferred Card from American Express
The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express rewards you when you have dinner and a movie at home. You earn up to 6% back on purchases:
- 6% back at U.S. supermarkets (on the first $6,000 per year then 1% back)
- 3% back on U.S. streaming services
- 3% back on transit and at U.S. gas stations
- 1% back on everything else
Alternate card: The Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express has no annual fee (See Rates & Fees). It earns 3% back on the first $6,000 in annual grocery purchases (then 1% back). It also earns 2% back on U.S. gas station purchases and at select U.S. department stores. All other purchases earn 1% back. Cash back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be redeemed for statement credits.
Citi Double Cash Card
Sometimes, the “boring” credit cards that don’t have a bunch of add-ons are the best. The Citi® Double Cash Card has plenty to offer. You can get an unlimited 2% cash back on all purchases. Earn 1% cash back when you buy, plus an additional 1% back as you pay for those purchases.
With the Citi Double Cash, you can also redeem cash rewards with a $25 balance. There isn’t an annual fee or signup bonus though.
Related: Best Citi Credit Cards
Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card
The Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Credit Card earns 1.5% cash back on all purchases. There isn’t a redemption minimum, annual fee, or a foreign transaction fee.
New cardholders can earn a one-time $200 cash bonus after spending $500 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
Learn more: Cash Back Credit Cards
American Express Gold Card
The American Express® Gold Card earns up to 4x Membership Rewards on purchases:
- 4x points at U.S. supermarkets (up to $25,000 per calendar year, then 1x)
- 4x points on dining worldwide, including takeaway and deliveries
- 3x points on flights booked directly with the airline or on AmexTravel.com
- 1x points for everything else
You get a $120 dining credit ($10 per month) at Grubhub, Seamless, Boxed, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth’s Chris Steak House, and Shake Shack. Enrollment is required though.
Amex also gives you an annual $100 airline fee credit for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline. You can transfer your points at a 1:1 ratio to many airlines including Delta, British Airways, and Singapore Airlines.
The annual fee is $250 (See Rates & Fees).
New American Express® Gold Card cardholders can earn 60,000 Membership Rewards points after spending $4,000 on eligible purchases within the first 6 months.
Learn more: Johnny Jet Recommended Credit Cards
Bank of America Cash Rewards Credit Card
The information for the Bank of America Cash Rewards Card has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
The Bank of America® Cash Rewards Credit Card awards up to 3% back on purchases:
- 3% back on one category choice (Dining, online shopping, gas, travel, drug store, or home improvement)
- 2% back at grocery stores and wholesale clubs
- 1% back on everything else
You get 3% and 2% back on the first $2,500 in combined spending each quarter (then 1% back). Eating at home can easily maximize these bonus categories. It’s possible to earn between 25% and 75% more points if you’re a Preferred Rewards member.
The signup bonus is $200 after spending $1,000 in the first 90 days. There is no annual fee.
Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards Credit Card
The Capital One® SavorOne® Cash Rewards Credit Card doesn’t have an annual fee. You earn up to 3% back on purchases:
- 3% back on dining and entertainment
- 2% back at grocery stores
- 1% back on all other purchases
The signup bonus is $200 bonus cash after spending $500 on purchases in the first 3 months.
Learn more: Cash Back Credit Cards
Capital One Walmart Rewards Card
The information for the Capital One® Walmart Rewards™ Card has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Superstores like Walmart don’t qualify for the grocery store bonus category. The Capital One® Walmart Rewards™ Card solves that problem as you find all the ingredients you need for eating at home.
You get up to 5% back on grocery purchases at Walmart:
- 5% back at Walmart.com (including grocery pickup and delivery)
- 2% back on restaurants and travel
- 2% back on in-store Walmart purchases and at Murphy USA gas stations
- 1% back on everything else
You can redeem your points for cash rewards, travel rewards, gift cards, and statement credits.
The welcome offer for this Capital One Walmart Card is earning an unlimited 5% back in the first 12 months when paying with Walmart Pay in Walmart purchases. This card doesn’t have an annual fee.
The information for the Target RedCard has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
The Target RedCard™ can be your best card for shopping at Target.
You will get 5% back on these purchases:
- In-store and online Target purchases
- Shipt same-day delivery services
- In-store Starbucks locations
- Specialty gift cards
You also get an extra 30-day return window on Target purchases. Plus, you get 10% off on your card anniversary.
You may still want to use another card for your purchases at other merchants. One benefit you may appreciate is getting 10% off Hotels.com purchases.
This card doesn’t have an annual fee.
Rakuten Cash Back Visa
The information for the Rakuten Cash Back Visa® Credit Card has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
The Rakuten Cash Back Visa® Credit Card is best for online shopping. But you can earn cash rewards with participating meal kits and food delivery companies. Examples include Postmates and Love with Food.
You earn 3% cash back on most Rakuten.com (previously Ebates), Rakuten Hotels, travel offers, and in-store offers. All non-bonus purchases earn 1% back. This card can make sense if you shop online using the Rakuten cash back app.
The signup bonus is $10 bonus cash after your first Rakuten purchases. This card doesn’t have an annual fee.
Summary of Best Credit Cards for Food Deliveries and Eating At Home
You can earn the most points by buying groceries at a supermarket. Food delivery from restaurants can also earn bonus rewards. Even if you’re staying at home, you can use these rewards for cash or travel rewards.
What is considered credit card dining?
Dining purchases for most credit cards must take place at a restaurant location. That might be the restaurant in a downtown district, on an interstate exit, or in a mall food court. Restaurants inside sports stadiums, casinos, and hotels may not classify as a restaurant–it depends on the merchant code.
Food delivery app purchases may not classify either. It depends on the credit card terms and conditions. The Chase Sapphire Preferred can waive the delivery fee on DoorDash restaurant purchases.
What is the best credit card for buying groceries?
The American Express Blue Cash Preferred has the highest reward rate for U.S. supermarket purchases. You get 6% cash back on the first $6,000 in annual purchases (then 1% back) and 6% back on U.S. streaming services. All remaining spend earns 1% back. This card can be the most lucrative option for eating at home.
Can you get cash back on meal kits?
It’s possible to get cash back on meal kits–if you use the correct credit card. Meal kits are not a dedicated bonus category for most cards. A flat-rate cash rewards card is your best option to earn bonus points on meal kits. The Citi Double Cash is one of the best as you get 2% back on every purchase–including online spending.
Some meal kits are sold in grocery stores. You can use a credit card that earns bonus rewards on supermarket purchases. One of the best can be the Capital One SavorOne Card. It earns 2% back at supermarkets and earn rewards on dining and entertainment too.
- Chase Sapphire Reserve vs Sapphire Preferred
- Credit Card Benefits to Help Manage Coronavirus
- Best No Annual Fee Credit Cards
For rates and fees of The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express, please click here.
To learn about rates and fees of the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express, please click here.
For rates and fees of The American Express® Gold Card, please click here.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
- 1 The Best Credit Cards For Eating At Home & Food Deliveries
- 2 Chase Sapphire Preferred – 2x on Food Deliveries
- 3 Chase Sapphire Reserve
- 4 Blue Cash Preferred Card from American Express
- 5 Citi Double Cash Card
- 6 Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card
- 7 American Express Gold Card
- 8 Bank of America Cash Rewards Credit Card
- 9 Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards Credit Card
- 10 Capital One Walmart Rewards Card
- 11 Target RedCard
- 12 Rakuten Cash Back Visa
- 13 Summary of Best Credit Cards for Food Deliveries and Eating At Home
- 14 FAQs